Did this page end up framed? Click here to break out.


Home is Where...
Silver Tongued Devil
Butterfly
Tasting Roots, Watching Sirens
Spam spamspamspam
Eatonweb
Incoming
Spark
Cooker
The Eleventh Commandment

Click to go to the most current Cliff Between the Lines
Life, viewed sideways. Emotions, amplified. Answers, questioned. Me, between the lines.




- A Wounded Heart, Who Can Bear?
- Drowning Under a Tidal Wave
- Clawing My Way to the Sunlight
- Yes, Santa Claus, There Is a Virginia
- Fugu
- Touching the Spirit
- A Hole in the Universe
- Riding on the Dreams of Others
- Turning Into a Shark
 - A Heart, Ripped Asunder
- Surrendering to the Roller Coaster
- Hunting in the Jade Forest
- Dodging the Shark
- Dancing With Invisible Partners
- The Captain and the Harliquin
- Courting the Devils
- The Captain Makes His Mark
- Mad Dog to the Rescue
- Innocent in the Big City
- Dropping the Ball Briefcase
- Scrambling Brains
- Cheating the Reaper, Again
- What If the Man Behind the Curtain Is No Wizard After All?
- All of Us Have a Soundtrack
- Working With Broken Machines
- Happy Anniversary, Baby
- Standing on Stars
- Running the Film Backwards
- Identity Crisis ("Who am I?")
- Can We Ever Really Admit the Desires of Our Heart?
- Forgiveness is a Rare Thing
- Having Your Heart Caressed By the Creator
- Working With Broken Machines
- A New Leg to Stand On
- The Real Spirit of Christmas
- Chatting With Infinity
- Absence Makes the Heart Grow Fonder
- We All Have a Great Capacity for Loss
- Brushed Lightly By Might Have Beens
- We See the World Through Our Own Looking Glass
- Every Storm Passes Eventually
- Accidents Can Introduce Destiny Into Our Lives
- Freedom Depends on the Walls Around Us
- Pulling Aside the Velvet Curtain
- Riding the Razor's Edge
- Dying With Strangers
- In Your Face
- Between the Lines
- The Bobcat
- Angel With a Coffeecup
- Innocent in the Big City
- Chains of Gossamer
- Playing With Knives
- Stumbling Through Memories (Ooops)
- Picture This
- Running the Film Backwards
- Playing the Score, Tasting the Music
- Coins and Corals and Carved Coconuts
- My God, I Confess
- Exotic in Thin Air (Part 1, Speechless)
- Exotic in Thin Air (Part 2, Taxi)
- Exotic in Thin Air (Part 3, The Pan American)
- Exotic in Thin Air (Part 4, Guano)
- Exotic in Thin Air (Part 5, The Andes Express)



 
Blogroll Me!













Feed for RSS readers:
ATOM Site Feed


Enter your email address below to be notified daily in your email whenever this blog is updated, courtesy of Bloglet:


powered by Bloglet



"This is True" is now located at the bottom of this page.






My Blogger Profile

More About Cliff Hursey

Email me



"From this hour I ordain myself loos'd of limits and imaginary lines, going where I list, my own master total and absolute, Listening to others, considering well what they say, Pausing, searching, receiving, contemplating, Gently, but with undeniable will, divesting myself of the holds that would hold me."

Walt Whitman (1819-92)




"When I look back now over my life and call to mind what I might have had simply for taking and did not take, my heart is like to break."

Akhenaton (d. c.1354 BC)











And now, the current weather, from some random person we pulled off the street:

The WeatherPixie








Friday, May 21, 2004
 

Steam

hu-mid-i-ty
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural -ties
1 : a moderate degree of wetness especially of the atmosphere
2 : what makes you drench your clothes on a day like this one

Tonight, there will be thunder. Lots of it.

This is our first really humid day of our summer season. You can sit outside and just feel the pent up energy in the air, and that energy is straining to shove the thunderheads higher and higher in preparation for our meteorological assault this evening.

In other words, it's a good night to stay home.

I have always loved thunderstorms. There is something inside of me that seems to feed on the wildness in their midst. I am almost never happier than I am standing on my porch, fully exposed to the lash of the rain, the blaze of the lightning, and the earsplitting shatter of the thunder.

Just one more thunderbolt, send just one more, I want to feel it, to thrill to it, to lose myself in it.

Years ago, we lived in central Florida. If you look at the state on a map, it looks like there is a "waist" in the middle of it. That's where we lived. The other name for that area is thunderstorm alley.

There is something about the mixing together of the warm Gulf stream out in the Atlantic to the east, the waters of the Gulf of Mexico to the west, and this little nondescript land mass in the middle that produces boomers the like of which I have never seen before.

In one of those storms, the lightning would strike so rapidly that the thunder would sound like some sort of cosmic machine gun. The rain would start suddenly, pour down like a million fire hoses and then stop like somebody flipped a switch.

Afterwards, steam would rise from the streets and the roofs of the houses. The humidity would be so high you could barely breathe.

It was during one of those storms that we had our unexpected visitor.

My wife walked out through our laundry room to close our back porch door, which we had opened to air out the house. Suddenly she yelled "What did you do out here??!?"

So I came running, knowing I had done nothing since I had not been anywhere near that room. "Look at the floor!" she said. "I can't believe you tracked all of that in!"

I looked. The floor was covered in mud. And tracks.

"That wasn't me," I assured her. "Look, there's tracks of some sort in it."

"Something must have come in here, some sort of animal," she said.

By this time I was staring at her ironing board.

"It's still here."

Glaring balefully at me from the corner of our laundry room was a dog. I have no idea what kind of dog it was, other than it was a lot bigger than anything you would want to find in your laundry room.

Of course, it was obvious at this point that the dog thought it was his laundry room, and we were the interlopers. In the background, just to add to the tension of the moment, the rain continued to pour down in torrents and the thunder rolled like some crazed timpani player on speed.

"Its scared from the storm," I said. "Oh look, its got a tag and a collar, Let's see what it sa...YIKES, ok buddy, I won't stick my hand that close again."

We retreated around the corner into the kitchen, while the dog glared some more and hummed at us with a deep throated growl that said "Yes, I fully intend to eat you, I'm just choosing the sauce."

"Well, we can't just leave him in there!" my wife sagely decided.

"Um, where is the mop? Oh, right, in the garage. Which is on the other side of the laundry room." I crept through the war zone, trying my best to look like a non-threatening and badly flavored non-meal. I retrieved the mop, and sidled back into the kitchen.

The dog continued to glare.

Somehow, the mop gave me confidence and courage. Yes, this was the right tool, this was going to work!

I stepped through the door, a knight in armor armed with my trusty...uh...mop. Well, it felt better than it sounds. Anyway, I gave the dog a nudge.

Here's a word of advice. Never nudge a strange scared dog with a mop. This is classified as a bad move. If you can imagine shooting the dog up with some super energy pill that made him go beserk, well, you get the picture.

Amidst all of the angry biting, snapping and canine curses on my family, I quickly retreated to the kitchen again, and pulled the door shut behind me.

"That didn't work."

"No, it didn't."

"Well, you can't just leave him in there."

Making a mental note that "we can't just lean him" had turned somehow into "you can't just leave him" I began trying to formulate my next plan of attack.

What I needed was something that first of all would not hurt the dog at all, and second would make our laundry room a very unpleasant place. Something like Mace was out of the question. A broom would do about as good as the mop did.

I shouted a bit. He glared back with one of those "sticks and stones" looks. Nope, that didn't work either.

But wait... Yes I had it! It would work! And no one would get hurt, especially me!

Even better, it involved firecrackers!!!

I ran to my bedroom and grabbed the box of snap and pops I had stuck in a corner of my closet somewhere. These were perfect for the job.

"Snap and Pops" were little bundles of paper, grit and gunpowder. When you tossed one, it would make a loud "Pop!" upon hitting the ground (or person, or in this case animal) but it was all sound and no fury, they had no ability to harm anything.

I cracked the door. The dog was still looking, just as he had been, he had not moved a muscle. The only difference was that somewhere along the way, the rain had stopped.

I grabbed three snap and pops and let fly. They hit the wall behind my canine adversary and went "Pop! POP! POP!"

And just like that, he got up, and he trotted out the door which I quickly closed behind him.

Afterwards, I left my wife to clean up her laundry room.

But tonight, I am just going to enjoy a Virginia thundershower. They are fairly tame as compared to the wild Florida ones, but they are fun just the same.

I'll grab a Coke, grab a seat, and grab some wild.

They sicken of the calm, who knew the storm.
Dorothy Parker (1893 - 1967), 'Fair Weather,' Sunset Gun, 1928

Permalink: 5/21/2004 02:43:00 PM |
EMail this post to a friend:


Creative Commons License\__Cliff Between the Lines__/ is licensed
under a Creative Commons License.

Visit The Weblog Review

All Definitions featured in this blog are modified from the Webster Dictionary website.

Many quotations in this blog come from the Quotations Page.

This page is powered by Blogger. Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com Blogarama - The Blog Directory


Google
WWW \__Cliff Between the Lines__/