Did this page end up framed? Click here to break out.


The Captain and the Harliquin
Dancing with Invisible Partners
Hunting in the Jade Forest
Surrendering to the Roller Coaster
My Heart Impaled
Turning into a Shark
Riding on the Dreams of Others
A Hole in the Universe
A New Leg to Stand On
Yes, Santa Claus, there IS a Virginia

Click to go to the most current Cliff Between the Lines
Life, viewed sideways. Emotions, amplified. Answers, questioned. Me, between the lines.




- A Wounded Heart, Who Can Bear?
- Drowning Under a Tidal Wave
- Clawing My Way to the Sunlight
- Yes, Santa Claus, There Is a Virginia
- Fugu
- Touching the Spirit
- A Hole in the Universe
- Riding on the Dreams of Others
- Turning Into a Shark
 - A Heart, Ripped Asunder
- Surrendering to the Roller Coaster
- Hunting in the Jade Forest
- Dodging the Shark
- Dancing With Invisible Partners
- The Captain and the Harliquin
- Courting the Devils
- The Captain Makes His Mark
- Mad Dog to the Rescue
- Innocent in the Big City
- Dropping the Ball Briefcase
- Scrambling Brains
- Cheating the Reaper, Again
- What If the Man Behind the Curtain Is No Wizard After All?
- All of Us Have a Soundtrack
- Working With Broken Machines
- Happy Anniversary, Baby
- Standing on Stars
- Running the Film Backwards
- Identity Crisis ("Who am I?")
- Can We Ever Really Admit the Desires of Our Heart?
- Forgiveness is a Rare Thing
- Having Your Heart Caressed By the Creator
- Working With Broken Machines
- A New Leg to Stand On
- The Real Spirit of Christmas
- Chatting With Infinity
- Absence Makes the Heart Grow Fonder
- We All Have a Great Capacity for Loss
- Brushed Lightly By Might Have Beens
- We See the World Through Our Own Looking Glass
- Every Storm Passes Eventually
- Accidents Can Introduce Destiny Into Our Lives
- Freedom Depends on the Walls Around Us
- Pulling Aside the Velvet Curtain
- Riding the Razor's Edge
- Dying With Strangers
- In Your Face
- Between the Lines
- The Bobcat
- Angel With a Coffeecup
- Innocent in the Big City
- Chains of Gossamer
- Playing With Knives
- Stumbling Through Memories (Ooops)
- Picture This
- Running the Film Backwards
- Playing the Score, Tasting the Music
- Coins and Corals and Carved Coconuts
- My God, I Confess
- Exotic in Thin Air (Part 1, Speechless)
- Exotic in Thin Air (Part 2, Taxi)
- Exotic in Thin Air (Part 3, The Pan American)
- Exotic in Thin Air (Part 4, Guano)
- Exotic in Thin Air (Part 5, The Andes Express)



 
Blogroll Me!













Feed for RSS readers:
ATOM Site Feed


Enter your email address below to be notified daily in your email whenever this blog is updated, courtesy of Bloglet:


powered by Bloglet



"This is True" is now located at the bottom of this page.






My Blogger Profile

More About Cliff Hursey

Email me



"From this hour I ordain myself loos'd of limits and imaginary lines, going where I list, my own master total and absolute, Listening to others, considering well what they say, Pausing, searching, receiving, contemplating, Gently, but with undeniable will, divesting myself of the holds that would hold me."

Walt Whitman (1819-92)




"When I look back now over my life and call to mind what I might have had simply for taking and did not take, my heart is like to break."

Akhenaton (d. c.1354 BC)











And now, the current weather, from some random person we pulled off the street:

The WeatherPixie








Thursday, December 18, 2003
 

Courting the Devils

fra·ter·ni·ty
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural -ties
Date: 14th century
1 : a group of people associated or formally organized for a common purpose, interest, or pleasure: as a : a fraternal order b : GUILD c : a men's student organization formed chiefly for social purposes having secret rites and a name consisting of Greek letters d : a student organization for scholastic, professional, or extracurricular activities [a debating fraternity]
2 : the quality or state of being brothers : BROTHERLINESS
3 : what I had no business trying to join in college

In the middle of my first fall at Furman they had something called "pledge week." This was when young impressionable freshmen could commit to "pledge" to a fraternity, to which he would belong the rest of his school years.

For a loose cannon like me, well, I should have known better.

I chose a fraternity called Pi Kappa Alpha. They seemed like down to earth guys, most of them were likeable. Well, over half anyways. And the girls that hung around them were cute. That, above all, I think was the main reason I liked them. Sheesh, how often did my life decisions get based on hormones alone? Too often.

As pledge season progressed, things got more difficult for the pledges. Pretty soon, we were having to do some pretty humiliating things. But it was OK because we were trying to reach that elusive and oh-so-special goal of "fraternal membership."

The idea of "why would I want to be a member of any group that did this sort of thing" never crossed my mind.

So, here I was, in a situation where I was expected to perform in order to be accepted. As you might surmise, for a person like me that's playing with dynamite. And it went off.


One of the things we had to do as pledges was to get three signatures in a little book from each member of the fraternity. It sounds easy, but usually they would make you do stupid or menial things before they would sign it. One of the worst ones to get a signature from was a guy named Rick Henderson.

One weekend, I had one of those ideas that looks brilliant at the time...

I got together with two other pledges, including a friend of mine named Brad. There was a town not too far from campus named Hendersonville. It occured to me that Rick would probably love a "Hendersonville" sign in his dorm room. So we would go get (read "steal") one.

We armed ourselves with a few tools and waited until late at night, then headed down the highway to Hendersonville. I imagine we probably had a bit to drink as well. It really didn't matter to me though, the situation was triggering me way into the manic side. And these poor guys were following me.

Eventually, we came to a Hendersonville exit. And there was a sign, with the word Hendersonville. It wasn't one of those huge interstate signs, just a little one. It looked perfect.

If you ever want to do something idiotic like this, you might want to remember that the size of a sign is an optical illusion. They are really huge.

So, we had the sign about halfway loose, and we hear a car approaching. We all lay down in the grass, because there was not any time to get back to our car.

It was a police car.

I can still see it now, pulling up slowly to the stop sign as I lay there not daring to breathe. After what seemed like forever, it pulled away and went down the road. We finished removing the sign in a flash, and to our consternation this four foot sign was more like ten feet long. We had to fold it to get it into my trunk.

The next morning, we presented it to Rick. He looked at us stunned. He asked where we got it. We told him. He was speechless. I think he signed our books.

The next night they blackballed all three of us.

Which was dissapointing at the time, sure, but now I see that it was a good thing. I still ended up dating one of the Pi Kappa girls for a while. And you know what? The people that didn't get in the fraternity were better friends than the ones who did, and friendship is the real fraternity, the real brotherhood.

Who needs Greek letters when it is written on your heart.

When the character of a man is not clear to you, look at his friends.
Japanese Proverb


Permalink: 12/18/2003 03:01:00 PM |
EMail this post to a friend:


Creative Commons License\__Cliff Between the Lines__/ is licensed
under a Creative Commons License.

Visit The Weblog Review

All Definitions featured in this blog are modified from the Webster Dictionary website.

Many quotations in this blog come from the Quotations Page.

This page is powered by Blogger. Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com Blogarama - The Blog Directory


Google
WWW \__Cliff Between the Lines__/