Did this page end up framed? Click here to break out.


A Heart Ripped Asunder
The Captain Makes His Mark
Courting the Devils
The Captain and the Harliquin
Dancing with Invisible Partners
Hunting in the Jade Forest
Surrendering to the Roller Coaster
My Heart Impaled
Turning into a Shark
Riding on the Dreams of Others

Click to go to the most current Cliff Between the Lines
Life, viewed sideways. Emotions, amplified. Answers, questioned. Me, between the lines.




- A Wounded Heart, Who Can Bear?
- Drowning Under a Tidal Wave
- Clawing My Way to the Sunlight
- Yes, Santa Claus, There Is a Virginia
- Fugu
- Touching the Spirit
- A Hole in the Universe
- Riding on the Dreams of Others
- Turning Into a Shark
 - A Heart, Ripped Asunder
- Surrendering to the Roller Coaster
- Hunting in the Jade Forest
- Dodging the Shark
- Dancing With Invisible Partners
- The Captain and the Harliquin
- Courting the Devils
- The Captain Makes His Mark
- Mad Dog to the Rescue
- Innocent in the Big City
- Dropping the Ball Briefcase
- Scrambling Brains
- Cheating the Reaper, Again
- What If the Man Behind the Curtain Is No Wizard After All?
- All of Us Have a Soundtrack
- Working With Broken Machines
- Happy Anniversary, Baby
- Standing on Stars
- Running the Film Backwards
- Identity Crisis ("Who am I?")
- Can We Ever Really Admit the Desires of Our Heart?
- Forgiveness is a Rare Thing
- Having Your Heart Caressed By the Creator
- Working With Broken Machines
- A New Leg to Stand On
- The Real Spirit of Christmas
- Chatting With Infinity
- Absence Makes the Heart Grow Fonder
- We All Have a Great Capacity for Loss
- Brushed Lightly By Might Have Beens
- We See the World Through Our Own Looking Glass
- Every Storm Passes Eventually
- Accidents Can Introduce Destiny Into Our Lives
- Freedom Depends on the Walls Around Us
- Pulling Aside the Velvet Curtain
- Riding the Razor's Edge
- Dying With Strangers
- In Your Face
- Between the Lines
- The Bobcat
- Angel With a Coffeecup
- Innocent in the Big City
- Chains of Gossamer
- Playing With Knives
- Stumbling Through Memories (Ooops)
- Picture This
- Running the Film Backwards
- Playing the Score, Tasting the Music
- Coins and Corals and Carved Coconuts
- My God, I Confess
- Exotic in Thin Air (Part 1, Speechless)
- Exotic in Thin Air (Part 2, Taxi)
- Exotic in Thin Air (Part 3, The Pan American)
- Exotic in Thin Air (Part 4, Guano)
- Exotic in Thin Air (Part 5, The Andes Express)



 
Blogroll Me!













Feed for RSS readers:
ATOM Site Feed


Enter your email address below to be notified daily in your email whenever this blog is updated, courtesy of Bloglet:


powered by Bloglet



"This is True" is now located at the bottom of this page.






My Blogger Profile

More About Cliff Hursey

Email me



"From this hour I ordain myself loos'd of limits and imaginary lines, going where I list, my own master total and absolute, Listening to others, considering well what they say, Pausing, searching, receiving, contemplating, Gently, but with undeniable will, divesting myself of the holds that would hold me."

Walt Whitman (1819-92)




"When I look back now over my life and call to mind what I might have had simply for taking and did not take, my heart is like to break."

Akhenaton (d. c.1354 BC)











And now, the current weather, from some random person we pulled off the street:

The WeatherPixie








Monday, December 22, 2003
 

The Real Spirit of Christmas

sac-ri-fice
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Old French, from Latin sacrificium, from sacr-, sacer + facere to make -- more at DO
Date: 13th century
1 : an act of offering to a deity something precious; especially : the killing of a victim on an altar
2 : something offered in sacrifice
3 a : destruction or surrender of something for the sake of something else b : something given up or lost
4 : what, to me, gives meaning to life


Without the cross, there never would have been a manger.

That's a fact that is missed at Christmas, that the entire season is not just a celebration of a birth, but the celebration of a gift, a gift beyond measure. That gift was not given at the manger, but at the cross. And that sacrifice is what makes it valuable, not the animals in the stable and the wise men and the snow and the singing angels.

My wife asked me the other day what I thought the perfect Christmas would be.

I thought for a bit, I had never really considered it. She offered her version of the perfect Christmas for me. It involved a cabin in the woods, snow on the ground, a fire in the fireplace/wood stove, all the family around, sleigh rides, big meal, etc. Essentially, the holiday on the Christmas cards. I replied that my perfect Christmas would be nothing at all like that.

I told her that in my perfect Christmas, I would have lots of money and give it all away to absolute strangers that needed it. She was pretty much appalled, and I think pretty pleased that I had not suggested doing that. Yet.


There is nothing in life that gives me more pleasure than giving. And the more sacrificial the giving the better it makes me feel. Even though other people don't feel or act that way, I can't imagine that this is wrong.

I just can't feel good about myself if I am being selfish or self centered.

I have considered some radical ways to give. I have thought about being a bone marrow donor. I already am an organ donor when I die, but wouldn't it be great to be able to give the gift of life to someone while I was still alive? So what if its painful. Life hurts sometimes.

If it doesn't cost anything it isn't worth anything.

Last weekend I stopped at a rest area on I-95 late at night. When I was leaving, a man flagged me down. I stopped and rolled down my window and asked what was up.

Turns out he had had car trouble in a car he was trying to get home for his son, and the repair had cost him far more than he expected. He was about out of gas and had run out of money, and his credit card was already maxed out, probably on Christmas gifts.

I reached into my wallet without any hesitation and gave him gas money. It wasn't enough to get him all the way home, but it was a good start, I told him. He thanked me profusely and tried to get my address to send it back to me. I refused.

When I drove off, I felt bad because it occurred to me I could have followed him to a gas station and filled his car up with my credit card. Oh well.

That's just how I am. I'm no pushover, but if someone honestly needs help, I'm there and trying my hardest to give it to them. There was a long period when I wasn't like that, as you are seeing in my narratives, but this is where I have ended up.

There are only so many ways for me to leave a legacy. This is one of them.

I used to say that I wanted everyone to be happy at my funeral since I would be in heaven. Not any more. I want to leave a huge Cliff shaped hole in the world. I want people to miss me, and think that what I did and what I represented was important enough for them to try it on for size too.

That's a big task I've set myself. But worth the trouble, I think.

No matter what the sacrifice.

You are not here merely to make a living. You are here to enable the world to live more amply, with greater vision, and with a finer spirit of hope and achievement. You are here to enrich the world. You impoverish yourself if you forget this errand.
Woodrow Wilson (1856 - 1924)


Permalink: 12/22/2003 11:32:00 PM |
EMail this post to a friend:


Creative Commons License\__Cliff Between the Lines__/ is licensed
under a Creative Commons License.

Visit The Weblog Review

All Definitions featured in this blog are modified from the Webster Dictionary website.

Many quotations in this blog come from the Quotations Page.

This page is powered by Blogger. Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com Blogarama - The Blog Directory


Google
WWW \__Cliff Between the Lines__/