Did this page end up framed? Click here to break out.


Diamonds of a Harlequin pa-thos Function: noun ...
Warm Heartedness in an Indifferent World di-ver-g...
Riding the Edge of the Razor Blade
Giving Smiles in Passing mis-for-tune Function: ...
Holding the Rose, Carefully im-i-tate Function: ...
Entering the Frost cold Function: adjective Etym...
Mermaid
A Nervous Boil dis-qui-et Function: transitive v...
The Real Spirit of Christmas
A Heart Ripped Asunder

Click to go to the most current Cliff Between the Lines
Life, viewed sideways. Emotions, amplified. Answers, questioned. Me, between the lines.




- A Wounded Heart, Who Can Bear?
- Drowning Under a Tidal Wave
- Clawing My Way to the Sunlight
- Yes, Santa Claus, There Is a Virginia
- Fugu
- Touching the Spirit
- A Hole in the Universe
- Riding on the Dreams of Others
- Turning Into a Shark
 - A Heart, Ripped Asunder
- Surrendering to the Roller Coaster
- Hunting in the Jade Forest
- Dodging the Shark
- Dancing With Invisible Partners
- The Captain and the Harliquin
- Courting the Devils
- The Captain Makes His Mark
- Mad Dog to the Rescue
- Innocent in the Big City
- Dropping the Ball Briefcase
- Scrambling Brains
- Cheating the Reaper, Again
- What If the Man Behind the Curtain Is No Wizard After All?
- All of Us Have a Soundtrack
- Working With Broken Machines
- Happy Anniversary, Baby
- Standing on Stars
- Running the Film Backwards
- Identity Crisis ("Who am I?")
- Can We Ever Really Admit the Desires of Our Heart?
- Forgiveness is a Rare Thing
- Having Your Heart Caressed By the Creator
- Working With Broken Machines
- A New Leg to Stand On
- The Real Spirit of Christmas
- Chatting With Infinity
- Absence Makes the Heart Grow Fonder
- We All Have a Great Capacity for Loss
- Brushed Lightly By Might Have Beens
- We See the World Through Our Own Looking Glass
- Every Storm Passes Eventually
- Accidents Can Introduce Destiny Into Our Lives
- Freedom Depends on the Walls Around Us
- Pulling Aside the Velvet Curtain
- Riding the Razor's Edge
- Dying With Strangers
- In Your Face
- Between the Lines
- The Bobcat
- Angel With a Coffeecup
- Innocent in the Big City
- Chains of Gossamer
- Playing With Knives
- Stumbling Through Memories (Ooops)
- Picture This
- Running the Film Backwards
- Playing the Score, Tasting the Music
- Coins and Corals and Carved Coconuts
- My God, I Confess
- Exotic in Thin Air (Part 1, Speechless)
- Exotic in Thin Air (Part 2, Taxi)
- Exotic in Thin Air (Part 3, The Pan American)
- Exotic in Thin Air (Part 4, Guano)
- Exotic in Thin Air (Part 5, The Andes Express)



 
Blogroll Me!













Feed for RSS readers:
ATOM Site Feed


Enter your email address below to be notified daily in your email whenever this blog is updated, courtesy of Bloglet:


powered by Bloglet



"This is True" is now located at the bottom of this page.






My Blogger Profile

More About Cliff Hursey

Email me



"From this hour I ordain myself loos'd of limits and imaginary lines, going where I list, my own master total and absolute, Listening to others, considering well what they say, Pausing, searching, receiving, contemplating, Gently, but with undeniable will, divesting myself of the holds that would hold me."

Walt Whitman (1819-92)




"When I look back now over my life and call to mind what I might have had simply for taking and did not take, my heart is like to break."

Akhenaton (d. c.1354 BC)











And now, the current weather, from some random person we pulled off the street:

The WeatherPixie








Saturday, January 17, 2004
 

Angel with a Coffeecup

I cannot find the original source of this image. If you know the person responsible for this beautiful picture, please let me know so I can attribute it properly.blogger_idol-1.gif
fas-ci-nate
Function: verb
Etymology: Latin fascinatus, past participle of fascinare, from fascinum evil spell
Date: 1598
transitive senses
1 obsolete : BEWITCH
2 a : to transfix and hold spellbound by an irresistible power [believed that the serpent could fascinate its prey] b : to command the interest of : ALLURE [was fascinated by carnivals] : to be irresistibly attractive [the novel's flamboyant cover fascinates]
3 : what Michelle could do without trying


Blogger Idol has suggested that this week we talk about the 80's. Well, seems like a good time to talk about Michelle.

This happened in 1989, but it still qualifies.

At the time, I was working for a computer company. We were selling computers in central Florida, in Ocala and Inverness. This is way back, when the 286's and 386's were still the workhorses, and 486's were the speed demons, running at 33 megahertz. This was back when a hundred megabyte hard drive cost over $1,000.

And there I was, selling these things in an area populated mostly by people over 60. Nothing wrong with that, of course, but older folks seldom have been on the cutting edge of technology and 1989 was no exception.

Which is why Michelle stood out, I think. She was probably 18 or 19, and was as beautiful as a Spring morning. I first saw her when I went for a cup of coffee after we closed, and she was working in the coffee shop on the other side of the strip mall. The next night I went in and she had already dumped and cleaned the coffeepots, but she told me that if I wanted to come in each night after work, she would make sure I had hot coffee.

So, every night after we closed I would head across the parking lot and get that cup of coffee along with a side of conversation.

She told me about her father, who she lived with. Her mother had passed away when she was younger and her father had raised her. They loved each other very, very much.

She told me about her dreams, to become a fashion designer. She wanted to go to school and learn how to do that, and was putting money away so she could.

One night I ended up working late. The phone rang and it was Michelle, checking to see if I was coming for coffee. Man, that sort of thing makes you feel good. To become a part of anyone's life, for someone to count you as such a friend, that is valuable.

One week, the fair came to town.


I wasn't really thinking about it when I went for my nightly cup. When I walked in there were several friends of Michelle's sitting at a table. She introduced me to all of them. She told me that they were going to the fair.

And she asked me to go with her.

Now, at this time, I was already engaged to the lady who would become my wife. So this question was far more important than it looked, or than Michelle knew.

Every so often in our lives there comes a moment when our morals are tested in an unexpected way. We have to make a split second decision, and the results can be catastrophic if we choose wrong. This was one of those moments.

I really wanted to go. It would be a harmless trip, nothing would be amiss.

"I'm sorry, I can't go, Michelle. But thank you so much for asking."

I passed the test.

And it was OK. I still went by and had my nightly coffee until the day when I left that job, which was only a month or so later. A few weeks after that I dropped by the coffee shop, and the lady in there told me that Michelle no longer worked there.

I hope she did well. I hope she is designing clothes. I hope she found someone that deserved someone like her. Every Columbine, after all, deserves a Harliquin eventually.

Sometimes when you look back on a situation, you realize it wasn't all you thought it was. A beautiful girl walked into your life. You fell in love. Or did you? Maybe it was only a childish infatuation, or maybe just a brief moment of vanity.
Henry Bromel, Northern Exposure, The Big Kiss, 1991


Permalink: 1/17/2004 10:43:00 PM |
EMail this post to a friend:


Creative Commons License\__Cliff Between the Lines__/ is licensed
under a Creative Commons License.

Visit The Weblog Review

All Definitions featured in this blog are modified from the Webster Dictionary website.

Many quotations in this blog come from the Quotations Page.

This page is powered by Blogger. Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com Blogarama - The Blog Directory


Google
WWW \__Cliff Between the Lines__/