Did this page end up framed? Click here to break out.


Yes, Santa Claus, there IS a Virginia
Walking on the Poseidon dis·tort Function: verb...
Touching the Spirit
Fugu
Clawing My Way to the Sunlight
Drowning Under a Tidal Wave
A Wounded Heart, Who Can Bear?
Stranger in my Shoes de?·cep?·tion Function: noun...
Working with Broken Machines
Riding the Earthquake per·se·vere Function: in...

Click to go to the most current Cliff Between the Lines
Life, viewed sideways. Emotions, amplified. Answers, questioned. Me, between the lines.




- A Wounded Heart, Who Can Bear?
- Drowning Under a Tidal Wave
- Clawing My Way to the Sunlight
- Yes, Santa Claus, There Is a Virginia
- Fugu
- Touching the Spirit
- A Hole in the Universe
- Riding on the Dreams of Others
- Turning Into a Shark
 - A Heart, Ripped Asunder
- Surrendering to the Roller Coaster
- Hunting in the Jade Forest
- Dodging the Shark
- Dancing With Invisible Partners
- The Captain and the Harliquin
- Courting the Devils
- The Captain Makes His Mark
- Mad Dog to the Rescue
- Innocent in the Big City
- Dropping the Ball Briefcase
- Scrambling Brains
- Cheating the Reaper, Again
- What If the Man Behind the Curtain Is No Wizard After All?
- All of Us Have a Soundtrack
- Working With Broken Machines
- Happy Anniversary, Baby
- Standing on Stars
- Running the Film Backwards
- Identity Crisis ("Who am I?")
- Can We Ever Really Admit the Desires of Our Heart?
- Forgiveness is a Rare Thing
- Having Your Heart Caressed By the Creator
- Working With Broken Machines
- A New Leg to Stand On
- The Real Spirit of Christmas
- Chatting With Infinity
- Absence Makes the Heart Grow Fonder
- We All Have a Great Capacity for Loss
- Brushed Lightly By Might Have Beens
- We See the World Through Our Own Looking Glass
- Every Storm Passes Eventually
- Accidents Can Introduce Destiny Into Our Lives
- Freedom Depends on the Walls Around Us
- Pulling Aside the Velvet Curtain
- Riding the Razor's Edge
- Dying With Strangers
- In Your Face
- Between the Lines
- The Bobcat
- Angel With a Coffeecup
- Innocent in the Big City
- Chains of Gossamer
- Playing With Knives
- Stumbling Through Memories (Ooops)
- Picture This
- Running the Film Backwards
- Playing the Score, Tasting the Music
- Coins and Corals and Carved Coconuts
- My God, I Confess
- Exotic in Thin Air (Part 1, Speechless)
- Exotic in Thin Air (Part 2, Taxi)
- Exotic in Thin Air (Part 3, The Pan American)
- Exotic in Thin Air (Part 4, Guano)
- Exotic in Thin Air (Part 5, The Andes Express)



 
Blogroll Me!













Feed for RSS readers:
ATOM Site Feed


Enter your email address below to be notified daily in your email whenever this blog is updated, courtesy of Bloglet:


powered by Bloglet



"This is True" is now located at the bottom of this page.






My Blogger Profile

More About Cliff Hursey

Email me



"From this hour I ordain myself loos'd of limits and imaginary lines, going where I list, my own master total and absolute, Listening to others, considering well what they say, Pausing, searching, receiving, contemplating, Gently, but with undeniable will, divesting myself of the holds that would hold me."

Walt Whitman (1819-92)




"When I look back now over my life and call to mind what I might have had simply for taking and did not take, my heart is like to break."

Akhenaton (d. c.1354 BC)











And now, the current weather, from some random person we pulled off the street:

The WeatherPixie








Thursday, December 11, 2003
 

A New Leg to Stand On

mir-a-cle
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Old French, from Late Latin miraculum, from Latin, a wonder, marvel, from mirari to wonder at
Date: 12th century
1 : an extraordinary event manifesting divine intervention in human affairs
2 : my left leg


It's not many people that can attest first hand to an actual honest to God (pardon the pun) miracle. I'm one of them.

And I'm not talking about one of those events that could by just as easily explained by circumstances or random chance. I'm talking here of a miracle that can be measured on a yardstick, that is completely unexplainable by medical science alone.

I promise you that what I'm about to write is as true as it comes. I was there and it happened to me. I'm skeptical by nature, but sometimes divine intervention is the only way to explain things. (Actually, its probably more often than we think, but that's another discussion.)


I was 14, I think, in ninth grade.

There was a local pastor named Wayne Miller who was starting a non-denominational church. It had actually began in a friend's living room and grown from there. This particular church was the heart of a spiritual movement in the area that was affecting almost all of the churches. Why? This guy's church actually had signs and wonders, on a regular basis.

Yeah, you heard me. Signs and wonders.

Stuff like talking in tongues, prophecies, and healings.

Things they never told us about in the Presbyterian Sunday school classes.

(I know that some of you are gonna want to leave this blog right now, but hang in here with me. I'm not gonna hit you over the head with a Bible or anything. I do promise this will be worth your reading time.)

It hit the entire town's Christian community like a sledgehammer, and upset a lot of people that were comfortable in their more placid ways, and attracted a great many people such as myself who wanted to be close to something that incredible. Since we were in the time period right at the end of the Jesus Movement, a lot of the people involved were quite young. Then again, there were a lot of middle aged couples too.


At 14, I was experiencing the results of an unfortunate growth spurt I had in junior high school. I shot up several inches in a very short time, and when all was said and done I found myself with an odd result.

My left leg was over an inch shorter than my right leg.

This caused me a lot of problems, because it was really obvious. One pants leg would break right, and the other one would be high waters or dragging under my shoe. So, we had to get a seamstress to custom hem every single pair of pants that I owned, from my jeans to my suit.

Once that was done, they fit properly, breaking right on both legs and I don't think you could tell that I was lopsided.

Until one night that changed my life.


Back then, they used to have things called "sharing groups." In suburbia, groups of people would get together once or twice a week at each other's homes to study the Bible or have prayer. Today they would call these groups Bible studies, but back then they were less structured.

Especially when Wayne Miller was there. You never really knew WHAT would happen.

So, on this night the sharing group was at our home. They had camped out in our rec room and I was in the den watching TV. After a little while, my dad came in and got me to go out and play a couple of songs on my guitar so everyone could sing. That was pretty normal.

But then, in front of the entire group, he said that now we were going to pray for my leg.

I'm pretty much panicking, but there was not a lot I could do about it. They pulled two captain's chairs opposite each other, and I sat in one while Wayne sat across from me. He held both of my feet together. It was REALLY obvious that they were not the same length.

Then they all started praying. Several prayed in tongues. I prayed too, even though I felt like bolting from the room.

And that's when I felt my heels sliding against each other. My left leg was getting LONGER.

No, I'm not making this up. This happened.

After just a few moments, my legs were the same length. Wayne started hollering in joy, because he had been holding them and felt it too.

I stood up, and my left pants leg was too high. It had fit three minutes earlier.

I felt wonderful, touched, awed. Mostly awed.

Getting a personal intervention from the Creator will do that to ya.

Afterwards, I had to get all of my pants redone again to make the legs equal. Now its thirty years later and my leg has remain healed.

So often we see the charlatans on TV or at "revivals" who have a person planted in the audience, or who aren't really healing anything verifiable. "Oh, the pain's gone!" is hard to measure. An inseam going from 28.5" to 30" is pretty dramatic though. And I will always know that it happened.

Because I was there.

I felt my heels slide.

And that's proof enough for me.

When a man takes one step toward God, God takes more steps toward that man than there are sands in the worlds of time.
The Work of the Chariot


Permalink: 12/11/2003 11:47:00 AM |
EMail this post to a friend:


Creative Commons License\__Cliff Between the Lines__/ is licensed
under a Creative Commons License.

Visit The Weblog Review

All Definitions featured in this blog are modified from the Webster Dictionary website.

Many quotations in this blog come from the Quotations Page.

This page is powered by Blogger. Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com Blogarama - The Blog Directory


Google
WWW \__Cliff Between the Lines__/