Did this page end up framed? Click here to break out.


Bleeding All Over Myself play Function: noun Ety...
This week's Blogger Idol topic is "Birds of a Fea...
Vicariously Goodbye peer Function: intransitive v...
OK folks, fold yer gowns and grab yer crowns its ...
Between the Lines
This week's Blogger Idol topic is "Blogger Pagean...
Living in a Fun House Mirror warp Function: noun...
Stomp your bugs and stamp your mails, its time fo...
Musings on a Roman emperor ves-tige Function: no...
Coins and Corals and Carved Coconuts

Click to go to the most current Cliff Between the Lines
Life, viewed sideways. Emotions, amplified. Answers, questioned. Me, between the lines.




- A Wounded Heart, Who Can Bear?
- Drowning Under a Tidal Wave
- Clawing My Way to the Sunlight
- Yes, Santa Claus, There Is a Virginia
- Fugu
- Touching the Spirit
- A Hole in the Universe
- Riding on the Dreams of Others
- Turning Into a Shark
 - A Heart, Ripped Asunder
- Surrendering to the Roller Coaster
- Hunting in the Jade Forest
- Dodging the Shark
- Dancing With Invisible Partners
- The Captain and the Harliquin
- Courting the Devils
- The Captain Makes His Mark
- Mad Dog to the Rescue
- Innocent in the Big City
- Dropping the Ball Briefcase
- Scrambling Brains
- Cheating the Reaper, Again
- What If the Man Behind the Curtain Is No Wizard After All?
- All of Us Have a Soundtrack
- Working With Broken Machines
- Happy Anniversary, Baby
- Standing on Stars
- Running the Film Backwards
- Identity Crisis ("Who am I?")
- Can We Ever Really Admit the Desires of Our Heart?
- Forgiveness is a Rare Thing
- Having Your Heart Caressed By the Creator
- Working With Broken Machines
- A New Leg to Stand On
- The Real Spirit of Christmas
- Chatting With Infinity
- Absence Makes the Heart Grow Fonder
- We All Have a Great Capacity for Loss
- Brushed Lightly By Might Have Beens
- We See the World Through Our Own Looking Glass
- Every Storm Passes Eventually
- Accidents Can Introduce Destiny Into Our Lives
- Freedom Depends on the Walls Around Us
- Pulling Aside the Velvet Curtain
- Riding the Razor's Edge
- Dying With Strangers
- In Your Face
- Between the Lines
- The Bobcat
- Angel With a Coffeecup
- Innocent in the Big City
- Chains of Gossamer
- Playing With Knives
- Stumbling Through Memories (Ooops)
- Picture This
- Running the Film Backwards
- Playing the Score, Tasting the Music
- Coins and Corals and Carved Coconuts
- My God, I Confess
- Exotic in Thin Air (Part 1, Speechless)
- Exotic in Thin Air (Part 2, Taxi)
- Exotic in Thin Air (Part 3, The Pan American)
- Exotic in Thin Air (Part 4, Guano)
- Exotic in Thin Air (Part 5, The Andes Express)



 
Blogroll Me!













Feed for RSS readers:
ATOM Site Feed


Enter your email address below to be notified daily in your email whenever this blog is updated, courtesy of Bloglet:


powered by Bloglet



"This is True" is now located at the bottom of this page.






My Blogger Profile

More About Cliff Hursey

Email me



"From this hour I ordain myself loos'd of limits and imaginary lines, going where I list, my own master total and absolute, Listening to others, considering well what they say, Pausing, searching, receiving, contemplating, Gently, but with undeniable will, divesting myself of the holds that would hold me."

Walt Whitman (1819-92)




"When I look back now over my life and call to mind what I might have had simply for taking and did not take, my heart is like to break."

Akhenaton (d. c.1354 BC)











And now, the current weather, from some random person we pulled off the street:

The WeatherPixie








Friday, April 09, 2004
 

Happy Birthday, Baby

year
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English yere, from Old English gEar; akin to Old High German jAr year, Greek hOros year, hOra season, hour
1 a : the period of about 365 1/4 solar days required for one revolution of the earth around the sun b : the time required for the apparent sun to return to an arbitrary fixed or moving reference point in the sky c : the time in which a planet completes a revolution about the sun
2 a : a cycle in the Gregorian calendar of 365 or 366 days divided into 12 months beginning with January and ending with December b : a period of time equal to one year of the Gregorian calendar but beginning at a different time
3 : How long this blog has been here.

On Monday, April 7th, 2003 I opened this blog with the statement "Sometimes you have to tear yourself in half to find yourself at all."

In the intervening year, this blog has recorded more than one ripping apart. At the time I had just been diagnosed with bipolar disorder, a mental illness I had apparently had for at least 30 to 35 years. All that time, not knowing I was sick, I had been fighting it until it almost killed me.

And it was a squeaker too. Take a look at the archives.

So now, here we are, a year later. And I feel like I should give some words of sage advice, or at the least a bit of a status report.

Well, lets see. Did I get ripped in half? You betcha.

Did I find myself?

Well, that's a harder question. I could approach it from lots of angles with lots of spins but all in all I have to say the answer has to be...

No.

Have I mastered living with this illness? Not on your life. I take my meds faithfully, and they help tremendously, but I still have triggers that can send me into a downward spiral on a moments notice.

One thing that I have now that I didn't before is a good support network.

Now I have to work on my reluctance to actually use it.

All in all, when I sit back and assess things, I have not really progressed far at all in the past year. In some ways I have even slipped backwards. In other words, I'm still a mess. I want to be strong, and I fight as hard as I can, but I just don't have it in me. I just don't.

Then again, it is midnight at the end of a particularly bad day. This may make these thoughts suspect.

[Sigh] Happy Birthday, Blog. Let's blow out the candles and have some cake.

"Know thyself," said the old philosopher, "improve thyself," saith the new. Our great object in time is not to waste our passions and gifts on the things external that we must leave behind, but that we cultivate within us all that we can carry into the eternal progress beyond.
Edward Bulwer-Lytton (1803 - 1873)


Permalink: 4/09/2004 12:57:00 AM |
EMail this post to a friend:


Creative Commons License\__Cliff Between the Lines__/ is licensed
under a Creative Commons License.

Visit The Weblog Review

All Definitions featured in this blog are modified from the Webster Dictionary website.

Many quotations in this blog come from the Quotations Page.

This page is powered by Blogger. Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com Blogarama - The Blog Directory


Google
WWW \__Cliff Between the Lines__/