Did this page end up framed? Click here to break out.


Sunrise
Cowards
Lasting Impressions
Lycos 50
Weighty Problem
Falling Out of the Closet By Accident
The Cost of Freedom
Curry Favor
Not That There's Anything Wrong With It...
"What does this word mean?"

Click to go to the most current Cliff Between the Lines
Life, viewed sideways. Emotions, amplified. Answers, questioned. Me, between the lines.




- A Wounded Heart, Who Can Bear?
- Drowning Under a Tidal Wave
- Clawing My Way to the Sunlight
- Yes, Santa Claus, There Is a Virginia
- Fugu
- Touching the Spirit
- A Hole in the Universe
- Riding on the Dreams of Others
- Turning Into a Shark
 - A Heart, Ripped Asunder
- Surrendering to the Roller Coaster
- Hunting in the Jade Forest
- Dodging the Shark
- Dancing With Invisible Partners
- The Captain and the Harliquin
- Courting the Devils
- The Captain Makes His Mark
- Mad Dog to the Rescue
- Innocent in the Big City
- Dropping the Ball Briefcase
- Scrambling Brains
- Cheating the Reaper, Again
- What If the Man Behind the Curtain Is No Wizard After All?
- All of Us Have a Soundtrack
- Working With Broken Machines
- Happy Anniversary, Baby
- Standing on Stars
- Running the Film Backwards
- Identity Crisis ("Who am I?")
- Can We Ever Really Admit the Desires of Our Heart?
- Forgiveness is a Rare Thing
- Having Your Heart Caressed By the Creator
- Working With Broken Machines
- A New Leg to Stand On
- The Real Spirit of Christmas
- Chatting With Infinity
- Absence Makes the Heart Grow Fonder
- We All Have a Great Capacity for Loss
- Brushed Lightly By Might Have Beens
- We See the World Through Our Own Looking Glass
- Every Storm Passes Eventually
- Accidents Can Introduce Destiny Into Our Lives
- Freedom Depends on the Walls Around Us
- Pulling Aside the Velvet Curtain
- Riding the Razor's Edge
- Dying With Strangers
- In Your Face
- Between the Lines
- The Bobcat
- Angel With a Coffeecup
- Innocent in the Big City
- Chains of Gossamer
- Playing With Knives
- Stumbling Through Memories (Ooops)
- Picture This
- Running the Film Backwards
- Playing the Score, Tasting the Music
- Coins and Corals and Carved Coconuts
- My God, I Confess
- Exotic in Thin Air (Part 1, Speechless)
- Exotic in Thin Air (Part 2, Taxi)
- Exotic in Thin Air (Part 3, The Pan American)
- Exotic in Thin Air (Part 4, Guano)
- Exotic in Thin Air (Part 5, The Andes Express)



 
Blogroll Me!













Feed for RSS readers:
ATOM Site Feed


Enter your email address below to be notified daily in your email whenever this blog is updated, courtesy of Bloglet:


powered by Bloglet



"This is True" is now located at the bottom of this page.






My Blogger Profile

More About Cliff Hursey

Email me



"From this hour I ordain myself loos'd of limits and imaginary lines, going where I list, my own master total and absolute, Listening to others, considering well what they say, Pausing, searching, receiving, contemplating, Gently, but with undeniable will, divesting myself of the holds that would hold me."

Walt Whitman (1819-92)




"When I look back now over my life and call to mind what I might have had simply for taking and did not take, my heart is like to break."

Akhenaton (d. c.1354 BC)











And now, the current weather, from some random person we pulled off the street:

The WeatherPixie








Thursday, July 29, 2004
 

Adrenaline Syrup

cy-cle
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English cicle, from Late Latin cyclus, from Greek kyklos circle, wheel, cycle -- more at WHEEL
1 : an interval of time during which a sequence of a recurring succession of events or phenomena is completed 2 a : a course or series of events or operations that recur regularly and usually lead back to the starting point b : one complete performance of a vibration, electric oscillation, current alternation, or other periodic process
3 : how my life works

 
Last week, I was delighted to find that I was a sports car.

At the slightest touch, I would leap ahead, my motor wanting nothing more than the power and speed that filled its every inch. The world rushed by like the boards in a picket fence at 100 miles an hour, the wind parted helplessly before me as I revved myself up to my very limit, screaming down the highway with pure, wild ecstasy.

For once, I felt well, I felt whole, I felt in charge. Everything was right with the world, and the world and I were right with each other. Excitement tinged my every breath. Every sight was awash in color, every sound was a symphony, every emotion was ablaze with fireworks and meaning. The world is made of adrenaline.

That was last week.

This week is different. There's no sports car any more. This week, I am a sepia toned portrait, brown and faded at the edges, crinkly and fragile. Life itself seems devoid of expression, a blank emptiness with no hope of being filled. I even found it incredibly hard to write the last couple of paragraphs about last week, because the me that lives in this week has trouble even imagining such a thing, such an experience.

As of now, its all dull brown and kind of deadish, melancholy like autumn leaves that have long since fallen from the trees, leaving the bare branches exposed to the cold winds above. I hide from the door, from the phone. The world is made of tasteless syrup.

That's what its like being me, you see.

I've mentioned here before that I have an illness, a mood disorder. It's chemical based, just like diabetes or hypothyroid. They used to call it manic depression, now they use the more politically correct term "bipolar disorder."

People that have this thing "cycle" from one state to another, just like I wrote above (which is true, btw.) There will be an "up" followed by a "down" that is usually twice as severe. That's the part I'm in right now.

Anyways, I wanted to put that on paper while its still fresh enough that the paint runs. More later.

I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it.
Jimmy Stewart (1908 - 1997), in "Harvey", 1950



Permalink: 7/29/2004 04:13:00 PM |
EMail this post to a friend:


Creative Commons License\__Cliff Between the Lines__/ is licensed
under a Creative Commons License.

Visit The Weblog Review

All Definitions featured in this blog are modified from the Webster Dictionary website.

Many quotations in this blog come from the Quotations Page.

This page is powered by Blogger. Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com Blogarama - The Blog Directory


Google
WWW \__Cliff Between the Lines__/