Did this page end up framed? Click here to break out.


N Word
Sploosh
Growl
Fire
Tasting Metal
Hip
How to Cook a Turkey in Two Minutes Flat
Yuck
Writing With Ink
12 Days Later

Click to go to the most current Cliff Between the Lines
Life, viewed sideways. Emotions, amplified. Answers, questioned. Me, between the lines.




- A Wounded Heart, Who Can Bear?
- Drowning Under a Tidal Wave
- Clawing My Way to the Sunlight
- Yes, Santa Claus, There Is a Virginia
- Fugu
- Touching the Spirit
- A Hole in the Universe
- Riding on the Dreams of Others
- Turning Into a Shark
 - A Heart, Ripped Asunder
- Surrendering to the Roller Coaster
- Hunting in the Jade Forest
- Dodging the Shark
- Dancing With Invisible Partners
- The Captain and the Harliquin
- Courting the Devils
- The Captain Makes His Mark
- Mad Dog to the Rescue
- Innocent in the Big City
- Dropping the Ball Briefcase
- Scrambling Brains
- Cheating the Reaper, Again
- What If the Man Behind the Curtain Is No Wizard After All?
- All of Us Have a Soundtrack
- Working With Broken Machines
- Happy Anniversary, Baby
- Standing on Stars
- Running the Film Backwards
- Identity Crisis ("Who am I?")
- Can We Ever Really Admit the Desires of Our Heart?
- Forgiveness is a Rare Thing
- Having Your Heart Caressed By the Creator
- Working With Broken Machines
- A New Leg to Stand On
- The Real Spirit of Christmas
- Chatting With Infinity
- Absence Makes the Heart Grow Fonder
- We All Have a Great Capacity for Loss
- Brushed Lightly By Might Have Beens
- We See the World Through Our Own Looking Glass
- Every Storm Passes Eventually
- Accidents Can Introduce Destiny Into Our Lives
- Freedom Depends on the Walls Around Us
- Pulling Aside the Velvet Curtain
- Riding the Razor's Edge
- Dying With Strangers
- In Your Face
- Between the Lines
- The Bobcat
- Angel With a Coffeecup
- Innocent in the Big City
- Chains of Gossamer
- Playing With Knives
- Stumbling Through Memories (Ooops)
- Picture This
- Running the Film Backwards
- Playing the Score, Tasting the Music
- Coins and Corals and Carved Coconuts
- My God, I Confess
- Exotic in Thin Air (Part 1, Speechless)
- Exotic in Thin Air (Part 2, Taxi)
- Exotic in Thin Air (Part 3, The Pan American)
- Exotic in Thin Air (Part 4, Guano)
- Exotic in Thin Air (Part 5, The Andes Express)



 
Blogroll Me!













Feed for RSS readers:
ATOM Site Feed


Enter your email address below to be notified daily in your email whenever this blog is updated, courtesy of Bloglet:


powered by Bloglet



"This is True" is now located at the bottom of this page.






My Blogger Profile

More About Cliff Hursey

Email me



"From this hour I ordain myself loos'd of limits and imaginary lines, going where I list, my own master total and absolute, Listening to others, considering well what they say, Pausing, searching, receiving, contemplating, Gently, but with undeniable will, divesting myself of the holds that would hold me."

Walt Whitman (1819-92)




"When I look back now over my life and call to mind what I might have had simply for taking and did not take, my heart is like to break."

Akhenaton (d. c.1354 BC)











And now, the current weather, from some random person we pulled off the street:

The WeatherPixie








Friday, October 15, 2004
 

King of Vanity

nar-cis-sism
Function: noun
Etymology: German Narzissismus, from Narziss Narcissus, from Latin Narcissus
1 : EGOISM, EGOCENTRISM
2 : love of or sexual desire for one's own body
3 : self decoration for self adoration


Now that I think about it, we've been heading this way for a long time. And now, here we are.

Yeah, let me explain that.

When I was younger, I used to joke that I would know I had "made it" as a musician when I saw my album in Eckerd's drug store. Well, Eckerd's no longer sells albums, but the idea was that they only carried the most mass market items. If you were odd, unique, you would not be on their shelves.

The same thing goes for chain stores like K-mart and the like. If your product is on the shelf there, then you are now pretty much mainstream.

Yesterday I was browsing in a CVS drugstore waiting on a prescription when I discovered that our culture had taken a left turn I wasn't even aware of.

Call me stupid and ignorant, or maybe just unobservant. The fact remains, it has happened.

I know, I know, what happened. Cut to the chase. Sure.

I discovered a product on the shelf named "XCD Improver Tinted Moisturizer" for men. Wanna see it? Here's the web page. Better yet, check out their description of the product line:


"XCD from King of Shaves is a remarkable range of 'enhancement' products that fuse high performance cosmetics technology [as used by women] into skincare products for men that enhance, camouflage and defend - creating a whole new 'look great' language for men."
This is makeup for men. Honest. The web site seems to devote a lot of space to making men less afraid of their products. That might be a smart move.

I, for one, am afraid. Very afraid.

It is going to interesting to see where this ends up. I know I would hate to be the project manager on this.

Then again, it will give some men an excuse to explain those makeup stains on their collars when they get home from work...


Those who live on vanity must, not unreasonably, expect to die of mortification.
Alice Thomas Ellis

Permalink: 10/15/2004 05:10:00 PM |
EMail this post to a friend:


Creative Commons License\__Cliff Between the Lines__/ is licensed
under a Creative Commons License.

Visit The Weblog Review

All Definitions featured in this blog are modified from the Webster Dictionary website.

Many quotations in this blog come from the Quotations Page.

This page is powered by Blogger. Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com Blogarama - The Blog Directory


Google
WWW \__Cliff Between the Lines__/