Did this page end up framed? Click here to break out.


Beth the Second: Coup De Grace
Surprise
Blade
Headlong
Frankie
Beth the Second - Black Magic
Bouncing Betty and April May
Beth the Second - Magic
Innocence Lost
Quick Programming Note

Click to go to the most current Cliff Between the Lines
Life, viewed sideways. Emotions, amplified. Answers, questioned. Me, between the lines.




- A Wounded Heart, Who Can Bear?
- Drowning Under a Tidal Wave
- Clawing My Way to the Sunlight
- Yes, Santa Claus, There Is a Virginia
- Fugu
- Touching the Spirit
- A Hole in the Universe
- Riding on the Dreams of Others
- Turning Into a Shark
 - A Heart, Ripped Asunder
- Surrendering to the Roller Coaster
- Hunting in the Jade Forest
- Dodging the Shark
- Dancing With Invisible Partners
- The Captain and the Harliquin
- Courting the Devils
- The Captain Makes His Mark
- Mad Dog to the Rescue
- Innocent in the Big City
- Dropping the Ball Briefcase
- Scrambling Brains
- Cheating the Reaper, Again
- What If the Man Behind the Curtain Is No Wizard After All?
- All of Us Have a Soundtrack
- Working With Broken Machines
- Happy Anniversary, Baby
- Standing on Stars
- Running the Film Backwards
- Identity Crisis ("Who am I?")
- Can We Ever Really Admit the Desires of Our Heart?
- Forgiveness is a Rare Thing
- Having Your Heart Caressed By the Creator
- Working With Broken Machines
- A New Leg to Stand On
- The Real Spirit of Christmas
- Chatting With Infinity
- Absence Makes the Heart Grow Fonder
- We All Have a Great Capacity for Loss
- Brushed Lightly By Might Have Beens
- We See the World Through Our Own Looking Glass
- Every Storm Passes Eventually
- Accidents Can Introduce Destiny Into Our Lives
- Freedom Depends on the Walls Around Us
- Pulling Aside the Velvet Curtain
- Riding the Razor's Edge
- Dying With Strangers
- In Your Face
- Between the Lines
- The Bobcat
- Angel With a Coffeecup
- Innocent in the Big City
- Chains of Gossamer
- Playing With Knives
- Stumbling Through Memories (Ooops)
- Picture This
- Running the Film Backwards
- Playing the Score, Tasting the Music
- Coins and Corals and Carved Coconuts
- My God, I Confess
- Exotic in Thin Air (Part 1, Speechless)
- Exotic in Thin Air (Part 2, Taxi)
- Exotic in Thin Air (Part 3, The Pan American)
- Exotic in Thin Air (Part 4, Guano)
- Exotic in Thin Air (Part 5, The Andes Express)



 
Blogroll Me!













Feed for RSS readers:
ATOM Site Feed


Enter your email address below to be notified daily in your email whenever this blog is updated, courtesy of Bloglet:


powered by Bloglet



"This is True" is now located at the bottom of this page.






My Blogger Profile

More About Cliff Hursey

Email me



"From this hour I ordain myself loos'd of limits and imaginary lines, going where I list, my own master total and absolute, Listening to others, considering well what they say, Pausing, searching, receiving, contemplating, Gently, but with undeniable will, divesting myself of the holds that would hold me."

Walt Whitman (1819-92)




"When I look back now over my life and call to mind what I might have had simply for taking and did not take, my heart is like to break."

Akhenaton (d. c.1354 BC)











And now, the current weather, from some random person we pulled off the street:

The WeatherPixie








Tuesday, January 25, 2005
 

Unexpected Hero

great-heart-ed
Function: adjective
1 : characterized by bravery : COURAGEOUS
2 : a character trait not limited to only big muscular men with war paint on


Courage can be found in many forms, in many places, and I unexpectedly found a shining example of it at the beginning of my sophomore year at Furman, in 1979.

At the beginning of each year, about half of the student body is made up of incoming freshmen. They've had about a week to meet each other, and then the upperclassmen arrive.

Various activities are scheduled during the first couple of weeks to encourage people meeting each other. One of the major ones is a dance. They would hold it in the dining hall, with a live band. The room would be darkened, and there would be a few chairs around the edges.

All the guys would mill about in big groups, trying to be (or at least look) confident, and all the girls would sit or stand around the edges waiting on someone to ask them to dance. It was pretty much a meat market.

And I wouldn't have missed it for the world.


Several of us walked over together, but I think I was probably more ready to have a good time than anyone. Particularly after the summer I had, with girls practically falling all over me every night while I was on stage, I was as confident as a human being could be.

I intended to dance with every single pretty girl in the room, if I could. And there were bunches. Or at least it looked like there were, it was pretty dark in there.

So, I started circling and would pick out a girl, ask her to dance, then while on the dance floor I would try to get to know her a little more.

"So, what's your name?"

"What?"

"What's your name?

"What?"

"WHAT'S YOUR NAME??!?"

"Shhhl"

"What?"

"SHEILA!"

"OK! WHERE ARE YOU FROM?"

"TENNESSEE."

"WHICH PART?"

"NO, NOT ART. BUSINESS MAJOR."

And so forth.


Out of all the girls there that night, two of them really stood out to me.

One of them did so simply because her name was Cliff. I had never met a girl named Cliff. Apparently her dad wanted a boy really bad so he named her Clifford anyway. We became good friends, and even dated once so we could say we did it.

But there was another one. Her name was, I believe, Robin (and I might be wrong, if I am and she reads this, I am sorry.) She was as cute as she could be, with a short pixie hairstyle, sparkling eyes, and a great big smile that beamed like a headlight. At first she said she didn't dance (yeah right, that means "I'm bashful" in English, every guy knows that) but I ended up talking her into it.

I danced with her more than once. Like maybe eight times, or more. She was a good dancer, and fun. And that smile, wow. As far as I was concerned, she made my night.

One of the songs led to a slow dance number. She seemed particularly reticent about slow dancing, but I insisted. When I took her hand in mine, I understood.

It wasn't all there. Only part of it.

And you know what? It made no difference to me at all.

We danced, and she was wonderful, graceful, beautiful.


I saw her occasionally checking her mail or passing in the halls. It wasn't until I saw her in shorts that I understood the depth of her courage.

It wasn't just her hand.

Robin was a thalidomide baby.

For those not familiar with that, these poor children were born to mothers who had taken a prescription drug called thalidomide, which ended up having a very high incidence of severe birth defects. Usually this was in the form of misshapen or missing hands, arms, feet, legs.

Robin had both hands deformed.

And Robin had no legs.

You could see where the prosthetics attached above her knees. And yet she handled it, lived her life as a normal pretty girl would.

Even dancing with an idiot like me that simply wouldn't take no for an answer.

So many people make a deformity or a challenge in their lives an excuse. But others, the best of us, overcome these as best we can, and go on about our living.

Like Robin.

I was awed, and very humbled. Twenty five years later, I still am. It's people like Robin that really are the examples we should be holding up to copy, not the ones we do hold up. There will be no basketball, baseball, or football player I will ever hear about that comes close to Robin for heroism, in my book.

Five foot two, eyes of blue (or maybe brown, I don't remember) but oh what those five foot could do...

Thanks Robin. I might not remember your name perfectly, but I'll never forget your heart until the day I die.

I think a hero is an ordinary individual who finds strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles.
--Christopher Reeve


Permalink: 1/25/2005 11:10:00 PM |
EMail this post to a friend:


Creative Commons License\__Cliff Between the Lines__/ is licensed
under a Creative Commons License.

Visit The Weblog Review

All Definitions featured in this blog are modified from the Webster Dictionary website.

Many quotations in this blog come from the Quotations Page.

This page is powered by Blogger. Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com Blogarama - The Blog Directory


Google
WWW \__Cliff Between the Lines__/