Did this page end up framed? Click here to break out.


(First of all, a quick note. I chose not to parti...
Don your socks and set your clocks its time for t...
Happy Birthday, Baby year Function: noun Etymolo...
Bleeding All Over Myself play Function: noun Ety...
This week's Blogger Idol topic is "Birds of a Fea...
Vicariously Goodbye peer Function: intransitive v...
OK folks, fold yer gowns and grab yer crowns its ...
Between the Lines
This week's Blogger Idol topic is "Blogger Pagean...
Living in a Fun House Mirror warp Function: noun...

Click to go to the most current Cliff Between the Lines
Life, viewed sideways. Emotions, amplified. Answers, questioned. Me, between the lines.




- A Wounded Heart, Who Can Bear?
- Drowning Under a Tidal Wave
- Clawing My Way to the Sunlight
- Yes, Santa Claus, There Is a Virginia
- Fugu
- Touching the Spirit
- A Hole in the Universe
- Riding on the Dreams of Others
- Turning Into a Shark
 - A Heart, Ripped Asunder
- Surrendering to the Roller Coaster
- Hunting in the Jade Forest
- Dodging the Shark
- Dancing With Invisible Partners
- The Captain and the Harliquin
- Courting the Devils
- The Captain Makes His Mark
- Mad Dog to the Rescue
- Innocent in the Big City
- Dropping the Ball Briefcase
- Scrambling Brains
- Cheating the Reaper, Again
- What If the Man Behind the Curtain Is No Wizard After All?
- All of Us Have a Soundtrack
- Working With Broken Machines
- Happy Anniversary, Baby
- Standing on Stars
- Running the Film Backwards
- Identity Crisis ("Who am I?")
- Can We Ever Really Admit the Desires of Our Heart?
- Forgiveness is a Rare Thing
- Having Your Heart Caressed By the Creator
- Working With Broken Machines
- A New Leg to Stand On
- The Real Spirit of Christmas
- Chatting With Infinity
- Absence Makes the Heart Grow Fonder
- We All Have a Great Capacity for Loss
- Brushed Lightly By Might Have Beens
- We See the World Through Our Own Looking Glass
- Every Storm Passes Eventually
- Accidents Can Introduce Destiny Into Our Lives
- Freedom Depends on the Walls Around Us
- Pulling Aside the Velvet Curtain
- Riding the Razor's Edge
- Dying With Strangers
- In Your Face
- Between the Lines
- The Bobcat
- Angel With a Coffeecup
- Innocent in the Big City
- Chains of Gossamer
- Playing With Knives
- Stumbling Through Memories (Ooops)
- Picture This
- Running the Film Backwards
- Playing the Score, Tasting the Music
- Coins and Corals and Carved Coconuts
- My God, I Confess
- Exotic in Thin Air (Part 1, Speechless)
- Exotic in Thin Air (Part 2, Taxi)
- Exotic in Thin Air (Part 3, The Pan American)
- Exotic in Thin Air (Part 4, Guano)
- Exotic in Thin Air (Part 5, The Andes Express)



 
Blogroll Me!













Feed for RSS readers:
ATOM Site Feed


Enter your email address below to be notified daily in your email whenever this blog is updated, courtesy of Bloglet:


powered by Bloglet



"This is True" is now located at the bottom of this page.






My Blogger Profile

More About Cliff Hursey

Email me



"From this hour I ordain myself loos'd of limits and imaginary lines, going where I list, my own master total and absolute, Listening to others, considering well what they say, Pausing, searching, receiving, contemplating, Gently, but with undeniable will, divesting myself of the holds that would hold me."

Walt Whitman (1819-92)




"When I look back now over my life and call to mind what I might have had simply for taking and did not take, my heart is like to break."

Akhenaton (d. c.1354 BC)











And now, the current weather, from some random person we pulled off the street:

The WeatherPixie








Thursday, April 15, 2004
 

The Void

null
Function: adjective
Etymology: Middle French nul, literally, not any, from Latin nullus, from ne- not + ullus any; akin to Latin unus one -- more at NO, ONE
1 : having no legal or binding force : INVALID
2 : amounting to nothing : NIL
3 : having no value : INSIGNIFICANT
4 a : having no elements b : having zero as a limit c of a matrix : having all elements equal to zero
5 : of, being, or relating to zero
6 : ZERO

You wouldn't believe how much this sucks.

The vacuum, I mean.

Let me explain this a bit better.

Flashback to Sunday. It's Easter. I've promised my wife I will go to church with her, so I do. She chooses an Episcopal church, a very formal one that I am unfamiliar with, having been raised in the Presbyterian church and then in various non-denominational churches, all of which were informal.

Now, don't get me wrong. The church was beautiful. The service was VERY reverent. It was well done, and I was impressed by how this church valued it's young people. The people seemed to me to be devout, to really believe in Jesus, unlike some churches I have been to.

But for some reason, I felt out of place.

Probably because, for me, I have no connection to that church. I'm not Episcopal. So, it was like getting invited to a stranger's wedding.

My wife had declared that she did not want to have any sort of Easter dinner or family gathering (even though I had wanted to.) About three o'clock, we were hungry so we went to one of those eat-too-much-to-be-good-for-you buffet places.

Before you read any further, understand that I mean NOTHING bad about what I am going to relate here.

We went, and the restaurant was very crowded, pretty much full. We were seated, and my wife looks at me and says "Cliff, we are the only two white people in this entire restaurant."

I had completely not noticed. And I completely didn't care. I am about as color blind as it gets, and am usually startled when someone else isn't.

As we ate lunch, I noticed a group of two couples just across the aisle from us. They were laughing, joking, just generally relaxing and enjoying each other. I took some pleasure in the honor of being close to this joy, while I think the raucousness irritated my wife.

The place was full of families that had just left Easter Sunday services, but their services had been different from mine. They probably didn't have a bell choir or a big expensive pipe organ. Instead, they probably had electric instruments, tambourines, and a lot of dancing and hollering.

They had had fun. For hours and hours, which is why they were eating lunch at three in the afternoon.

A lot of that fun and joy spilled right into the restaurant, and not only at the table across from me. There were little girls running around in their pretty Easter dresses with lots of ribbons in their hair, each one meticulously tied with love. There were big moms in big dresses balanced on tiny high heels. There were guys that felt better in their suits than they did all week in their coveralls. There were even great grandmothers in cornrow hair braids.

That night, it hit me. I really envied those people.

Monday I spoke with my therapist, a great guy who has a talent for getting to the root of a problem. Which is good, because I am an almost impossible nut to crack, and it has taken the better part of a year for us to get to any sort of workable level in me.

I told him about the restaurant. And he asked me when I last remembered being that much at ease with anyone.

And I thought.

And I thought some more, farther back.

It was twenty years ago that I felt like that, that I had a friend like that.

A friend where you could go over and just knock on the door without calling first, and where you didn't feel like you had to clean house for them to visit. A friend that would listen to your problems and help you work through them, and you knew you could tell them anything and it wouldn't matter. A friend that you could go show off your new car stereo to, that you could grab lunch with, go to a movie with. A friend that wasn't linked by marriage or blood or anything like that, but only by friendship.

It grieves me to admit that I just don't have one of those, and I haven't in two decades.

So I told my therapist this.

And that is when we turned over the next stone.

You see, where most people have friends, I have a vacuum. My "support system" is missing its heart.

And it is a huge gaping hole into which I now find myself tumbling uncontrollably.

Like all vacuums, it is sucking me in.

You wouldn't believe how much this sucks.


The worst solitude is to be destitute of sincere friendship.
Sir Francis Bacon (1561 - 1626)


Permalink: 4/15/2004 03:56:00 PM |
EMail this post to a friend:


Creative Commons License\__Cliff Between the Lines__/ is licensed
under a Creative Commons License.

Visit The Weblog Review

All Definitions featured in this blog are modified from the Webster Dictionary website.

Many quotations in this blog come from the Quotations Page.

This page is powered by Blogger. Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com Blogarama - The Blog Directory


Google
WWW \__Cliff Between the Lines__/