Did this page end up framed? Click here to break out.


Queue
Hound Dog
Idiotic Advertising Statement of the Day
Help! They're Getting Away!
Empathy
Adrenaline Syrup
Sunrise
Cowards
Lasting Impressions
Lycos 50

Click to go to the most current Cliff Between the Lines
Life, viewed sideways. Emotions, amplified. Answers, questioned. Me, between the lines.




- A Wounded Heart, Who Can Bear?
- Drowning Under a Tidal Wave
- Clawing My Way to the Sunlight
- Yes, Santa Claus, There Is a Virginia
- Fugu
- Touching the Spirit
- A Hole in the Universe
- Riding on the Dreams of Others
- Turning Into a Shark
 - A Heart, Ripped Asunder
- Surrendering to the Roller Coaster
- Hunting in the Jade Forest
- Dodging the Shark
- Dancing With Invisible Partners
- The Captain and the Harliquin
- Courting the Devils
- The Captain Makes His Mark
- Mad Dog to the Rescue
- Innocent in the Big City
- Dropping the Ball Briefcase
- Scrambling Brains
- Cheating the Reaper, Again
- What If the Man Behind the Curtain Is No Wizard After All?
- All of Us Have a Soundtrack
- Working With Broken Machines
- Happy Anniversary, Baby
- Standing on Stars
- Running the Film Backwards
- Identity Crisis ("Who am I?")
- Can We Ever Really Admit the Desires of Our Heart?
- Forgiveness is a Rare Thing
- Having Your Heart Caressed By the Creator
- Working With Broken Machines
- A New Leg to Stand On
- The Real Spirit of Christmas
- Chatting With Infinity
- Absence Makes the Heart Grow Fonder
- We All Have a Great Capacity for Loss
- Brushed Lightly By Might Have Beens
- We See the World Through Our Own Looking Glass
- Every Storm Passes Eventually
- Accidents Can Introduce Destiny Into Our Lives
- Freedom Depends on the Walls Around Us
- Pulling Aside the Velvet Curtain
- Riding the Razor's Edge
- Dying With Strangers
- In Your Face
- Between the Lines
- The Bobcat
- Angel With a Coffeecup
- Innocent in the Big City
- Chains of Gossamer
- Playing With Knives
- Stumbling Through Memories (Ooops)
- Picture This
- Running the Film Backwards
- Playing the Score, Tasting the Music
- Coins and Corals and Carved Coconuts
- My God, I Confess
- Exotic in Thin Air (Part 1, Speechless)
- Exotic in Thin Air (Part 2, Taxi)
- Exotic in Thin Air (Part 3, The Pan American)
- Exotic in Thin Air (Part 4, Guano)
- Exotic in Thin Air (Part 5, The Andes Express)



 
Blogroll Me!













Feed for RSS readers:
ATOM Site Feed


Enter your email address below to be notified daily in your email whenever this blog is updated, courtesy of Bloglet:


powered by Bloglet



"This is True" is now located at the bottom of this page.






My Blogger Profile

More About Cliff Hursey

Email me



"From this hour I ordain myself loos'd of limits and imaginary lines, going where I list, my own master total and absolute, Listening to others, considering well what they say, Pausing, searching, receiving, contemplating, Gently, but with undeniable will, divesting myself of the holds that would hold me."

Walt Whitman (1819-92)




"When I look back now over my life and call to mind what I might have had simply for taking and did not take, my heart is like to break."

Akhenaton (d. c.1354 BC)











And now, the current weather, from some random person we pulled off the street:

The WeatherPixie








Saturday, August 07, 2004
 

Show Forth

ser-en-dip-i-ty
Function: noun
Etymology: from its possession by the heroes of the Persian fairy tale The Three Princes of Serendip
1 : the faculty or phenomenon of finding valuable or agreeable things not sought for
2 : what can happen at 3am on Cable TV


"Enough is enough," I said to myself.

It was, by now, two-thirty in the morning, and it was becoming painfully obvious to me that staring at my eyelids wasn't going to make me anything but more restless and uncomfortable. I hated nights like this, the ones that drag on and on and on and nothing whatsoever will coax your body into going to sleep except the arrival of some brutal moment where you will only get maybe four hours sleep, at most.

I sat up, giving the cat some incentive to climb on the nightstand and see what I was up to. I grabbed some shoes (always wear those if you live with a cat) and headed downstairs, being careful not to awaken my wife.

Awakening my wife at two-thirty in the morning would fall into the catagory of Very Bad Things to Do, and I had enough problems.

I slumped down on the couch and started flipping through the 400+ channels of high quality 24 hour entertainment that I am supposed to be getting piped into my house. To paraphrase the late Douglas Adams, this was obviously some new meaning of "high quality entertainment."

Besides, watching some cheesy movie was the last thing I wanted.

No, I wanted something a lot more esoteric. Something that would give my mind something to chew on but not crank up my adrenaline.

Ah, I have just the thing. I flip to the Inspiration Channel. The show is listed as "Inspiration for the Masses." Cool. I hit the button to select the show.

[Shows picture of knife blade] "...and this one is my favorite, the household knife. Why, watch what you can do with this one..." [Shows picture of shoe sole in a vise] "Here is a normal everyday sole. Now watch..." Kachakachakachaka the knife saws the sole in half in short order. "And even after that, the blade is still sharp enough to slice a tomato!"

The camera zooms out to show Ron Popeil, who is demonstrating his latest kitchen gadget to a roomfull of admiring worshipers....wait, this isn't...

I click the channel guide again. "Inspiration for the Masses." Well, obviously they mixed that up, but it sure was oddly disturbing.

Next channel was The Big hair Network. I had left my wallet upstairs, so I didn't even try them.

Next channel was a new one, the Catholic channel. Now, my upbringing is Protestant, although now I consider myself non-denominational. But for years I've heard folks tell of how the Catholics don't read the Bible, how they believe in all of these weird things, whatever. Of course, none of the Catholics I knew ever fit the bill, but I was assured that they were the exceptions.

Well, I can tell ya this. At two-thirty in the morning, the Catholic channel really was the place to be.

They were interviewing a former football star who had written a book on how to live for Christ in a secular world. He took questions, and was asked what he felt about showing your faith in public, like perhaps attending daily mass.

'He's gonna quote a Pope,' I'm thinking to myself. But he doesn't.

"Let's look it up in scripture," he says, grabbing a dog eared and well used Bible. And from there he did an impromptu Biblical overview of the topic.

Now this was cool.

And not once, not once, did he ask for money.

Then the next show came on, and it was a friar answering questions that had been emailed in. Yet again, he first reached for the Bible for the solution.

In both cases, they affirmed Christ as Savior, very clearly.

And neither show tried to sell me any kitchen gadgets.

If you have a chance, check the channel out. They do a good job.

On a larger scale though, this does highlight what I think is one of the most destructive problems in today's Protestant churches. I think the best word for it might be narcissism.

Narcissism is worshipping oneself. Imagine a person falling in love with his or her own image in a mirror. That's narcissism. That's where I see the organized Protestant churches.

Sure, there are exceptions. But I would find it very difficult to name any denomination that wasn't, or any non-denominational group (which I have found to be just another denomination anyway.)

Eventually, they all end up with their special jargon, their individual styles, their set habits of worship, and their edifices that grow larger and larger. Pretty soon, you find them on TV with Big Hair begging for money or running Ginsu knife ads.

Praise God and Hallelujah.

And over here is an humble friar, quietly answering people's questions, looking up answers in the Bible.

Well done. I listen, and drift off to sleep.


When a man takes one step toward God, God takes more steps toward that man than there are sands in the worlds of time.
The Work of the Chariot


Permalink: 8/07/2004 08:44:00 PM |
EMail this post to a friend:


Creative Commons License\__Cliff Between the Lines__/ is licensed
under a Creative Commons License.

Visit The Weblog Review

All Definitions featured in this blog are modified from the Webster Dictionary website.

Many quotations in this blog come from the Quotations Page.

This page is powered by Blogger. Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com Blogarama - The Blog Directory


Google
WWW \__Cliff Between the Lines__/