Did this page end up framed? Click here to break out.


Kindle
Gruesome Fact of the Day
Spin
Ha!
There's Still Life in the Old Dog Yet
Back to the Old Home Place
Tastes Like Chicken
Evil Heart
Yeah, I'm Still Here, He Yells As He Flies By...
More Eye Update

Click to go to the most current Cliff Between the Lines
Life, viewed sideways. Emotions, amplified. Answers, questioned. Me, between the lines.




- A Wounded Heart, Who Can Bear?
- Drowning Under a Tidal Wave
- Clawing My Way to the Sunlight
- Yes, Santa Claus, There Is a Virginia
- Fugu
- Touching the Spirit
- A Hole in the Universe
- Riding on the Dreams of Others
- Turning Into a Shark
 - A Heart, Ripped Asunder
- Surrendering to the Roller Coaster
- Hunting in the Jade Forest
- Dodging the Shark
- Dancing With Invisible Partners
- The Captain and the Harliquin
- Courting the Devils
- The Captain Makes His Mark
- Mad Dog to the Rescue
- Innocent in the Big City
- Dropping the Ball Briefcase
- Scrambling Brains
- Cheating the Reaper, Again
- What If the Man Behind the Curtain Is No Wizard After All?
- All of Us Have a Soundtrack
- Working With Broken Machines
- Happy Anniversary, Baby
- Standing on Stars
- Running the Film Backwards
- Identity Crisis ("Who am I?")
- Can We Ever Really Admit the Desires of Our Heart?
- Forgiveness is a Rare Thing
- Having Your Heart Caressed By the Creator
- Working With Broken Machines
- A New Leg to Stand On
- The Real Spirit of Christmas
- Chatting With Infinity
- Absence Makes the Heart Grow Fonder
- We All Have a Great Capacity for Loss
- Brushed Lightly By Might Have Beens
- We See the World Through Our Own Looking Glass
- Every Storm Passes Eventually
- Accidents Can Introduce Destiny Into Our Lives
- Freedom Depends on the Walls Around Us
- Pulling Aside the Velvet Curtain
- Riding the Razor's Edge
- Dying With Strangers
- In Your Face
- Between the Lines
- The Bobcat
- Angel With a Coffeecup
- Innocent in the Big City
- Chains of Gossamer
- Playing With Knives
- Stumbling Through Memories (Ooops)
- Picture This
- Running the Film Backwards
- Playing the Score, Tasting the Music
- Coins and Corals and Carved Coconuts
- My God, I Confess
- Exotic in Thin Air (Part 1, Speechless)
- Exotic in Thin Air (Part 2, Taxi)
- Exotic in Thin Air (Part 3, The Pan American)
- Exotic in Thin Air (Part 4, Guano)
- Exotic in Thin Air (Part 5, The Andes Express)



 
Blogroll Me!













Feed for RSS readers:
ATOM Site Feed


Enter your email address below to be notified daily in your email whenever this blog is updated, courtesy of Bloglet:


powered by Bloglet



"This is True" is now located at the bottom of this page.






My Blogger Profile

More About Cliff Hursey

Email me



"From this hour I ordain myself loos'd of limits and imaginary lines, going where I list, my own master total and absolute, Listening to others, considering well what they say, Pausing, searching, receiving, contemplating, Gently, but with undeniable will, divesting myself of the holds that would hold me."

Walt Whitman (1819-92)




"When I look back now over my life and call to mind what I might have had simply for taking and did not take, my heart is like to break."

Akhenaton (d. c.1354 BC)











And now, the current weather, from some random person we pulled off the street:

The WeatherPixie








Monday, May 23, 2005
 

Welcome Home, Bub.

dis-may
Function: transitive verb
Etymology: Middle English, from (assumed) Old French desmaiier, from Old French des- dis- + -maiier (as in esmaiier to dismay), from (assumed) Vulgar Latin -magare, of Germanic origin; akin to Old High German magan to be able -- more at MAY
1 : to deprive of courage, resolution, and initiative through the pressure of sudden fear or anxiety or great perplexity
2 : what it felt like to return home from college


Some events are kind of big ones for almost everyone, and some of the lines in our life sparkle with meaning and promise even when looked forward to from years ahead.

Spring, 1981 was one of those times for me. You see, that was when I graduated from Furman. I was one of only a couple of people in my class to get two, count 'em two, degrees in four years, and they weren't even related and didn't have any courses in common.

I was proud. My family was proud. Even though I was trying to figure out how to get rid of her, my then girlfriend Debra (not her real name) was proud.

Finally, finally, I knew everything.

Boy, was I in for a shock.


The shock started only a couple of hours after we got home, when my parents started arguing. Arguing hard, with lots of shouting and stuff, and saying very mean things to each other. This wasn't how they acted when I had left for college.

Pretty quickly I ended up in our beach office and only really saw them on weekends. They always drove separate cars. Mom would sunbathe or something with my sister and my dad would go out on the sailboat. I didn't really know what was happening at night since I was heading out to go clubbing.

Three months or so later, we closed that office. And I ended up in Florence, SC, living back at home and working in my dad's office.

Thus began one of the most terrible times in my life.


It seems that my parent's marriage had been steadily dissolving for several years. I was blindsided, since I hadn't been there to see this develop. There were some serious accusations flying, and I didn't want to believe them.

Now, 25 years down the line, I figure they were all true.

My dad had hired a lady to head up his new real estate department. Or, now that I think about it, maybe he created it for her. I dunno anymore. In any event, dad began spending way too many hours away from home on "business" which was normally conducted in bars or restaurants with "Helen" (which is not her real name.)

I've always believed that if I could just ignore something hard enough, it would go away. So far, that plan has never worked once.


When my dad got home from work, on the days he wasn't working late, the first thing he would do is pour himself a drink. At the time it was bourbon and water, mixed strong. He would have one after another.

My mother didn't work. She sat at home all day watching soap operas. And she picked up that "death phrase" thing, you know the one, where the female lead makes the stunning or accusatory statement that strikes everyone conveniently speechless right before the break so they can run the commercials and you'll hang on, wondering what so and so will say to that.

Problem is, you can't use "death phrases" in real life. People don't go speechless. They get angry. My dad with a few drinks in him was really good at getting angry. Especially since she was probably right about most of the stuff she was accusing him of.

There's no worse reaction that the outrage of a guilty man when you accuse him.


I started bailing right after dinner and heading to a local club. There weren't many in Florence, and a lot of those were either redneck, old people bars, black bars (I'm not in any way prejudiced, but back then just walking in one of those places with the wrong color skin would get you killed) or just plain boring.

Fortunately there were a couple that were OK. There was Syd's, the Holiday Inn bar. There was the Thunderbird, which was a bit redneck but OK if you were careful. Then there was one that changed it's name about four times, and we'll call it Moe's because I think that was one of them.

I became a real regular at Moe's. I liked the owners, the staff, and the customers. They were down to earth people. I spent six nights a week in there, counting hours until I was sure my parents were asleep and I could go home without dealing with the lunacy.

Something very, very important to me would happen in there. It would involve lederhosen.

But, that's for the next post I think.

Speak when you are angry--and you will make the best speech you'll ever regret.
--Laurence J. Peter (1919 - 1988)




A note on the scarcity of posts lately: I do apologize, but for the last month and a half I have found myself rather sick from one thing or another. Unfortunately, instead of doing the proper thing and taking their turn, they hooked together like cars on a train and haven't given me a respite. Each of these, in their own way, has made it difficult to work on the computer so I have saved my endurance for work, mostly.

Currently I am dealing with severe vertigo from an unexpected ear infection, and for the last week and a half the world has been violently and suddenly spinning and tilting in one direction or another during the day.

In fact, I am astonished no one else has noticed this.

Anyway, I'll try to be here more often!

-Cliff

Permalink: 5/23/2005 01:56:00 AM |
EMail this post to a friend:


Creative Commons License\__Cliff Between the Lines__/ is licensed
under a Creative Commons License.

Visit The Weblog Review

All Definitions featured in this blog are modified from the Webster Dictionary website.

Many quotations in this blog come from the Quotations Page.

This page is powered by Blogger. Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com Blogarama - The Blog Directory


Google
WWW \__Cliff Between the Lines__/