Did this page end up framed? Click here to break out.


Bootstraps
Testing.....1...2....3...
Back, But Not Back
Broken Heart
Weeping Willow
History Lesson
Cramming It Down My...
Blogroll Announcement
Masks
Surprise

Click to go to the most current Cliff Between the Lines
Life, viewed sideways. Emotions, amplified. Answers, questioned. Me, between the lines.




- A Wounded Heart, Who Can Bear?
- Drowning Under a Tidal Wave
- Clawing My Way to the Sunlight
- Yes, Santa Claus, There Is a Virginia
- Fugu
- Touching the Spirit
- A Hole in the Universe
- Riding on the Dreams of Others
- Turning Into a Shark
 - A Heart, Ripped Asunder
- Surrendering to the Roller Coaster
- Hunting in the Jade Forest
- Dodging the Shark
- Dancing With Invisible Partners
- The Captain and the Harliquin
- Courting the Devils
- The Captain Makes His Mark
- Mad Dog to the Rescue
- Innocent in the Big City
- Dropping the Ball Briefcase
- Scrambling Brains
- Cheating the Reaper, Again
- What If the Man Behind the Curtain Is No Wizard After All?
- All of Us Have a Soundtrack
- Working With Broken Machines
- Happy Anniversary, Baby
- Standing on Stars
- Running the Film Backwards
- Identity Crisis ("Who am I?")
- Can We Ever Really Admit the Desires of Our Heart?
- Forgiveness is a Rare Thing
- Having Your Heart Caressed By the Creator
- Working With Broken Machines
- A New Leg to Stand On
- The Real Spirit of Christmas
- Chatting With Infinity
- Absence Makes the Heart Grow Fonder
- We All Have a Great Capacity for Loss
- Brushed Lightly By Might Have Beens
- We See the World Through Our Own Looking Glass
- Every Storm Passes Eventually
- Accidents Can Introduce Destiny Into Our Lives
- Freedom Depends on the Walls Around Us
- Pulling Aside the Velvet Curtain
- Riding the Razor's Edge
- Dying With Strangers
- In Your Face
- Between the Lines
- The Bobcat
- Angel With a Coffeecup
- Innocent in the Big City
- Chains of Gossamer
- Playing With Knives
- Stumbling Through Memories (Ooops)
- Picture This
- Running the Film Backwards
- Playing the Score, Tasting the Music
- Coins and Corals and Carved Coconuts
- My God, I Confess
- Exotic in Thin Air (Part 1, Speechless)
- Exotic in Thin Air (Part 2, Taxi)
- Exotic in Thin Air (Part 3, The Pan American)
- Exotic in Thin Air (Part 4, Guano)
- Exotic in Thin Air (Part 5, The Andes Express)



 
Blogroll Me!













Feed for RSS readers:
ATOM Site Feed


Enter your email address below to be notified daily in your email whenever this blog is updated, courtesy of Bloglet:


powered by Bloglet



"This is True" is now located at the bottom of this page.






My Blogger Profile

More About Cliff Hursey

Email me



"From this hour I ordain myself loos'd of limits and imaginary lines, going where I list, my own master total and absolute, Listening to others, considering well what they say, Pausing, searching, receiving, contemplating, Gently, but with undeniable will, divesting myself of the holds that would hold me."

Walt Whitman (1819-92)




"When I look back now over my life and call to mind what I might have had simply for taking and did not take, my heart is like to break."

Akhenaton (d. c.1354 BC)











And now, the current weather, from some random person we pulled off the street:

The WeatherPixie








Tuesday, October 25, 2005
 

Confessions

se-cret
Function: adjective
Etymology: Middle English, from Middle French, from Latin secretus, from past participle of secernere to separate, distinguish, from se- apart + cernere to sift -- more at SECEDE, CERTAIN
1 a : kept from knowledge or view : HIDDEN b : marked by the habit of discretion : CLOSEMOUTHED
2 : what came spilling forth at tonight's meeting


His hands shook. His hands usually shook when he spoke. They clasped in front of him on the table, subconsciously forming a wall he could hide behind.

The group is my "relapse prevention" group, which I attend twice a month. It may well be the single greatest force in my dealing with my illness. Well, except for the meds. I've come to know each member of the group intimately as they describe their lives two weeks at a time. My friend that was speaking is one of my very favorite people, and I've come to know quite a bit about him in the last year and a half. But I was about to learn something new.

"I took all of my pills," he said, speaking of a particularly dark time several years ago. "Twice. The first time I didn't take enough, so the second time I saved up and took a lot more."

He stared at his hands, then lifted them, bringing them closer, as if he was protecting himself from the horror of the memory.

"The first time, I was unconscious for a day and a half. The second time, I lay in my bed for two days before anyone found me."

My heart broke for him.

If you walked by this man in a store, you would assume that he had a very normal life, with very normal problems. Yet, at his heart, he is infinitely lonely.


Another member of our group spoke. "I had a bad result in a relationship this week, so I won't ever have another relationship with a girl again." Yes, my friend exagerates, but to himself he honestly believes this. It was only when he proceeded to name the girl in question that we all were shocked.

The girl had been a part of our group, and had recently dropped out. And would never have gone out with my friend, in any case. His "attentions" had probably caused her to leave, especially since he is oblivious to many of the details of social interaction, to put it bluntly.

So, when he confessed this, not one of us even took a breath. No, none of us would ever bring it up again.

And so there sat another infinitely lonely soul.


We are fashioned, I think, to be creatures that enjoy the presence of others, that grow through interaction with others like us. Living solitary lives, so many people miss out on this, and so much is wasted that these people can give to the world.

And at the same time, there are so many people that are frustrated because they can't find someone to feel special about them.

Well, let me tell you, in the grocery stores and the Walmarts and the book stores and the video stores of the country, there are millions who would gladly do just that.


Love is an irresistible desire to be irresistibly desired.
--Robert Frost, US poet (1874 - 1963)

Permalink: 10/25/2005 11:05:00 PM |
EMail this post to a friend:


Creative Commons License\__Cliff Between the Lines__/ is licensed
under a Creative Commons License.

Visit The Weblog Review

All Definitions featured in this blog are modified from the Webster Dictionary website.

Many quotations in this blog come from the Quotations Page.

This page is powered by Blogger. Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com Blogarama - The Blog Directory


Google
WWW \__Cliff Between the Lines__/