Did this page end up framed? Click here to break out.


Much Ado
Sploosh
Sheesh, Lighten Up...
Casualty
Cathartic
Dust and Dreams
Lifesavers
Scorpion's Tale
Touching Base
Only in Hopewell

Click to go to the most current Cliff Between the Lines
Life, viewed sideways. Emotions, amplified. Answers, questioned. Me, between the lines.




- A Wounded Heart, Who Can Bear?
- Drowning Under a Tidal Wave
- Clawing My Way to the Sunlight
- Yes, Santa Claus, There Is a Virginia
- Fugu
- Touching the Spirit
- A Hole in the Universe
- Riding on the Dreams of Others
- Turning Into a Shark
 - A Heart, Ripped Asunder
- Surrendering to the Roller Coaster
- Hunting in the Jade Forest
- Dodging the Shark
- Dancing With Invisible Partners
- The Captain and the Harliquin
- Courting the Devils
- The Captain Makes His Mark
- Mad Dog to the Rescue
- Innocent in the Big City
- Dropping the Ball Briefcase
- Scrambling Brains
- Cheating the Reaper, Again
- What If the Man Behind the Curtain Is No Wizard After All?
- All of Us Have a Soundtrack
- Working With Broken Machines
- Happy Anniversary, Baby
- Standing on Stars
- Running the Film Backwards
- Identity Crisis ("Who am I?")
- Can We Ever Really Admit the Desires of Our Heart?
- Forgiveness is a Rare Thing
- Having Your Heart Caressed By the Creator
- Working With Broken Machines
- A New Leg to Stand On
- The Real Spirit of Christmas
- Chatting With Infinity
- Absence Makes the Heart Grow Fonder
- We All Have a Great Capacity for Loss
- Brushed Lightly By Might Have Beens
- We See the World Through Our Own Looking Glass
- Every Storm Passes Eventually
- Accidents Can Introduce Destiny Into Our Lives
- Freedom Depends on the Walls Around Us
- Pulling Aside the Velvet Curtain
- Riding the Razor's Edge
- Dying With Strangers
- In Your Face
- Between the Lines
- The Bobcat
- Angel With a Coffeecup
- Innocent in the Big City
- Chains of Gossamer
- Playing With Knives
- Stumbling Through Memories (Ooops)
- Picture This
- Running the Film Backwards
- Playing the Score, Tasting the Music
- Coins and Corals and Carved Coconuts
- My God, I Confess
- Exotic in Thin Air (Part 1, Speechless)
- Exotic in Thin Air (Part 2, Taxi)
- Exotic in Thin Air (Part 3, The Pan American)
- Exotic in Thin Air (Part 4, Guano)
- Exotic in Thin Air (Part 5, The Andes Express)



 
Blogroll Me!













Feed for RSS readers:
ATOM Site Feed


Enter your email address below to be notified daily in your email whenever this blog is updated, courtesy of Bloglet:


powered by Bloglet



"This is True" is now located at the bottom of this page.






My Blogger Profile

More About Cliff Hursey

Email me



"From this hour I ordain myself loos'd of limits and imaginary lines, going where I list, my own master total and absolute, Listening to others, considering well what they say, Pausing, searching, receiving, contemplating, Gently, but with undeniable will, divesting myself of the holds that would hold me."

Walt Whitman (1819-92)




"When I look back now over my life and call to mind what I might have had simply for taking and did not take, my heart is like to break."

Akhenaton (d. c.1354 BC)











And now, the current weather, from some random person we pulled off the street:

The WeatherPixie








Monday, June 05, 2006
 

Mirage

de-mar-cate
Function: transitive verb
Etymology: back-formation from demarcation, from Spanish demarcación, from demarcar to delimit, from de- + marcar to mark, probably from Italian marcare, of Germanic origin; akin to Old High German marha boundary -- more at MARK
1 : DELIMIT
2 : to set apart : SEPARATE
3 : an ability I am losing

I guess this sort of thing is the logical progression, considering what the road has been like to this point. But I sure did not see it coming.

Partly because it was slow, creeping up on me over months, maybe years. And now I am the frog, boiling unawares.

Madness can do that.


The heavy duty meds that some of us with my illness have to take affect each of us in so many different ways. But one of the common ways is to dull the emotions, corralling our moods into one relatively flat "baseline" state. Which sounds good. But in many ways it's more like living in hell, after seeing heaven.

I remember times when my spirit soared into the stratosphere, wide open armed face to the sun crying out with the joy of all creation. I remember looking at the ocean and knowing the waves and I shared a sort of kinship, longer lasting than all the sunrises and sunsets of all the beaches on earth. I remember feeling alive with every pore of me, every nerve lightening charged and soaking up life like a starving man eating chocolate.

I remember picking up my guitar and it was as much a piece of me as my hand or my feet or my head. I remember loving so hard it hurt like a dagger would, feeling passion like I was suffocating in it.

I didn't know, no one told me, that all these things were wrong, were ill, were not to be for "normal" human beings.


Of course, for every skyrocket ride, there were deep dark enveloping depressions, sucking cavities in the universe that would devour me, then inside would be another darker and deeper that would devour me again.

But these times, these times were the ones were I would sit quietly with my guitar and write song after song, pouring so much of myself out, catharting myself like a gushing wound. And there was beauty there.

Dangerous beauty. Evil, in its way.


So, after my 25 year too late diagnosis, I started eating pills for breakfast, lunch and dinner. We adjusted them, tweaked them every time I hit a bump in the road.

Now don't get me wrong, this is exactly the right way to do it. No other way will work. This illness is a killer, and cheating the reaper is not something you can do without constant attention, altering things as needed to stay one step ahead.

The result, as I said, is gray. For real life anyway.

On the other hand, the meds have some side effects. All the regular ones (weight gain, etc.) along with some weird ones, like seeing small animals from the corner of my eye. I've gotten used to that one and it doesn't bother me any more. The biggest side effect, though, is the dreams.

I'm not talking regular dreams. I'm talking about dreams that are more lifelike than life itself. Where you can smell, taste, feel wind and temperature on your skin, breathe, walk from place to place, have long realistic conversations.

And where you can feel.

Feel like somebody got a ice coldbucketfull of it and poured it over your head. That intense.

And this is where the problem is, the place where the madness lives, isn't it?


We know reality because we know it. We know we are awake because we know we are. We can pinch ourselves, things are chronological.

Now, I've discovered that this no longer works with me. My line between life and dream is blurred, smudged, shifting. I cannot trust my mind.

My dreams are often more real than my reality. When I awaken, I feel that somehow I've drifted off to sleep, and left my real emotions and things that are important behind.

Early this week I dreamed that something from my past had resolved itself, but it had resolved sadly, badly, heartbreakingly. I have been mourning it for days. Mourning something that does not exist. To me, however, it is as real as the keyboard under my fingers.

I've dreamed that I've had phone conversations that I never had, and yet I remember them and my real life actions are based on those false memories.

This has caused problems.


Are these the first steps of madness?

Will I eventually be relegated to an existence lived in the strange land between the real and the figment? How do I even know? Do I find the courage to, with my docs help, try to wean off of some of the meds? But they are just enough to keep me pinned to the tail of the donkey, and I am deeply afraid of juggling them.

I am trying so hard to recapture myself, and I am finding that I can't trust me. So I am going to be looking for anchors, mileposts, ways to tell what, who and where I am.

And as I type this, my mind pulls me to an imaginary building, in an imaginary place, where an imaginary thing has happened, and I can tell you the type of car I am driving, how many bricks are in the wall, how many people are there, their names, how many tiles are in the courtyard, what is on the TV, the temperature, the depth of the water in the wetland at the end of the parking lot, what time it is, what day it is, what month it is, how many cars are there, what I am wearing, and that my heart is breaking so intensely.

Madness is a terrible place, after all.


There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.
Oscar Levant

Permalink: 6/05/2006 01:07:00 AM |
EMail this post to a friend:


Creative Commons License\__Cliff Between the Lines__/ is licensed
under a Creative Commons License.

Visit The Weblog Review

All Definitions featured in this blog are modified from the Webster Dictionary website.

Many quotations in this blog come from the Quotations Page.

This page is powered by Blogger. Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com Blogarama - The Blog Directory


Google
WWW \__Cliff Between the Lines__/