Did this page end up framed? Click here to break out.


Mirage
Much Ado
Sploosh
Sheesh, Lighten Up...
Casualty
Cathartic
Dust and Dreams
Lifesavers
Scorpion's Tale
Touching Base

Click to go to the most current Cliff Between the Lines
Life, viewed sideways. Emotions, amplified. Answers, questioned. Me, between the lines.




- A Wounded Heart, Who Can Bear?
- Drowning Under a Tidal Wave
- Clawing My Way to the Sunlight
- Yes, Santa Claus, There Is a Virginia
- Fugu
- Touching the Spirit
- A Hole in the Universe
- Riding on the Dreams of Others
- Turning Into a Shark
 - A Heart, Ripped Asunder
- Surrendering to the Roller Coaster
- Hunting in the Jade Forest
- Dodging the Shark
- Dancing With Invisible Partners
- The Captain and the Harliquin
- Courting the Devils
- The Captain Makes His Mark
- Mad Dog to the Rescue
- Innocent in the Big City
- Dropping the Ball Briefcase
- Scrambling Brains
- Cheating the Reaper, Again
- What If the Man Behind the Curtain Is No Wizard After All?
- All of Us Have a Soundtrack
- Working With Broken Machines
- Happy Anniversary, Baby
- Standing on Stars
- Running the Film Backwards
- Identity Crisis ("Who am I?")
- Can We Ever Really Admit the Desires of Our Heart?
- Forgiveness is a Rare Thing
- Having Your Heart Caressed By the Creator
- Working With Broken Machines
- A New Leg to Stand On
- The Real Spirit of Christmas
- Chatting With Infinity
- Absence Makes the Heart Grow Fonder
- We All Have a Great Capacity for Loss
- Brushed Lightly By Might Have Beens
- We See the World Through Our Own Looking Glass
- Every Storm Passes Eventually
- Accidents Can Introduce Destiny Into Our Lives
- Freedom Depends on the Walls Around Us
- Pulling Aside the Velvet Curtain
- Riding the Razor's Edge
- Dying With Strangers
- In Your Face
- Between the Lines
- The Bobcat
- Angel With a Coffeecup
- Innocent in the Big City
- Chains of Gossamer
- Playing With Knives
- Stumbling Through Memories (Ooops)
- Picture This
- Running the Film Backwards
- Playing the Score, Tasting the Music
- Coins and Corals and Carved Coconuts
- My God, I Confess
- Exotic in Thin Air (Part 1, Speechless)
- Exotic in Thin Air (Part 2, Taxi)
- Exotic in Thin Air (Part 3, The Pan American)
- Exotic in Thin Air (Part 4, Guano)
- Exotic in Thin Air (Part 5, The Andes Express)



 
Blogroll Me!













Feed for RSS readers:
ATOM Site Feed


Enter your email address below to be notified daily in your email whenever this blog is updated, courtesy of Bloglet:


powered by Bloglet



"This is True" is now located at the bottom of this page.






My Blogger Profile

More About Cliff Hursey

Email me



"From this hour I ordain myself loos'd of limits and imaginary lines, going where I list, my own master total and absolute, Listening to others, considering well what they say, Pausing, searching, receiving, contemplating, Gently, but with undeniable will, divesting myself of the holds that would hold me."

Walt Whitman (1819-92)




"When I look back now over my life and call to mind what I might have had simply for taking and did not take, my heart is like to break."

Akhenaton (d. c.1354 BC)











And now, the current weather, from some random person we pulled off the street:

The WeatherPixie








Thursday, June 29, 2006
 

Psychedelic Trigger

cap
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English cappe, from Old English cæppe, from Late Latin cappa head covering, cloak
1 a : a head covering especially with a visor and no brim b : a distinctive head covering emblematic of a position or office
2 : a natural cover or top: as a : an overlying rock layer that is usually hard to penetrate
3 a : something that serves as a cover or protection
4 : What the Captain wears

(Two days ago)

I've been back from my wife's family reunion for days now, and this illness or drug induced malaise just won't leave me. The sun has been shining up untilearlierr today, it's hot as blazes outside, but to me the bright June days have been as gray as old asphalt.

But today, today the rain and clouds match my mood. It's just as gray outside as it is inside. It's still hot, and now it's muggy because of the rain. The semi trucks swish by my window in an endless parade of thrum thrum thrum SWISH or eeeeeYOW SWISH. The occasional human boombox cruises by with their muffled whump whump whump. In between, the regular cars, not big enough to really hear until they get pretty close, but big enough to make their own SWISH sound as they pass eight feet from my bedroom.


Afternoon.

It's still raining, and it isn't stopping anytime soon. This is one of those rains that settle in like a bad headache, refusing to go away until it's good and ready. And it isn't ready, not by a long shot.
I have some errands to run, then a meeting to attend. I grab my new Greek fisherman's cap and head out.

It's as good a time as any to talk about the Hat. Yes, I meant to capitalize that. When I was an entertainer, way back in the late 70's and early 80's, the Hat was part of my stage persona. I used the stage name "Captain Cliff" and had a big black beard, and always wore the hat.

And I mean always. I only took it off for three things. Showering, sleeping, and sometimes I would leave it on for the third thing.

For the first time in twenty five years, I put on the hat. And it felt good.


Pretty soon, I realize that I have changed the music on my car CD player to something that I wouldn't have listened to that morning. And I notice that things around me were brighter, more intense, than they have been in weeks.

And I am feeling good too. Energetic. Upbeat. Handsome.

Like it's 25 years ago.

I tilt the Hat just slightly, to get a bit more attitude out of it. I check the mirror. There.

The Captain is paying a visit, at least a little one. I take the Hat off. Gray again. Put it back on. Colors.

The Hat is a trigger, summoning at least a portion of my manic mood.

Dangerous, but I wear it anyway as I do my own SWISH through the rain. At least I won't fall asleep.


The good side is that it does make me feel better. It keeps the rain off my recently developing bald spot. And it just might have a bit of cockiness, which is never a bad thing.

Of course, there is a down side too. Along with the Captain, the Hat summons other ghosts. Old ghosts. Whatever happened to's and where are they now's, and what might have been's. Most poignant of all to me, the ghost of chestnut hair across a pillow in the moonlight, and a heart that never healed.

Music louder. Drown that out.

Watch my speed. I'll want to go too fast.

Set my cruise control.

I hate it when my mind wanders to that place. It's best left alone.

whump whump whump

eeeYOW SWISH


I wear the Hat all evening. It's become a sort of statement to me, a declaration. Maybe even a totem.

"I am still here. I can still wear the Hat. The Hat still fits."

Does it still fit? Yeah. My body is breaking down, but inside I am the same person who enjoyed moonlit walks on the beach and making an audience sit totally stunned silent for endless seconds after a song finished. I am the same person who enjoyed throwing himself absolutely into something or someone. That confidence and spontaneity still live here. They were just tucked far below for many years.

The Captain still lives here.

I'll take the hat back off when I get home. But until then, I have at least a hat full of a happier (and infinitely wilder) time.


A memory is what is left when something happens and does not completely unhappen.
Edward de Bono

Permalink: 6/29/2006 11:18:00 AM |
EMail this post to a friend:


Creative Commons License\__Cliff Between the Lines__/ is licensed
under a Creative Commons License.

Visit The Weblog Review

All Definitions featured in this blog are modified from the Webster Dictionary website.

Many quotations in this blog come from the Quotations Page.

This page is powered by Blogger. Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com Blogarama - The Blog Directory


Google
WWW \__Cliff Between the Lines__/